New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Anti-Seize Lube
 Login/Join

<manhasset>
posted
Glock ships their pistols with copper based anti-seize lube on the frame and rails. Would it be ok to reapply this lube or is it used just for break in purposes?
Its been stated in other forums that its too abrasive to be used as as steady lube.
I'm confused because its packaged as a lubricant but does it act like a polishing compound?

Any advice or opinion from the gunsmiths would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

<G.Malmborg>
posted
As stated in the Glock Armorer's manual: "The copper colored lubricant that is found on portions of the slide should not be removed as it will assure long-term lubrication of the slide."

Once the presence of this lube has naturally disappeared, you need only apply a very light oil to the barrel, barrel hood and slide rails to provide proper lubrication from this point forward. Glock firearms require very little in the way of lubrication on the frame rails or anyother place on the firearm for that matter.

I use as little Moly grease at the connector and a drop of Break Free on each of the slides rails. You will want to avoid getting oil in the firing pin/striker tunnel as it can, over time, create an excessive amount of build up which may cause a malfunction.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
manhasset I do not know what copper based anti-seize glock uses but *some* copper and silver anti-seize(s) contain high levels of silicone dioxide (quartz). The reason for this is that in high temp applications the copper and/or silver may melt but the quartz remains solid and as a partical barrier, but contains copper for lubrication, or so the manufactures want people to believe. In high pressure, the copper inbeds and the quartz will almost always be smashed "on top" to some degree, due to the amount present, but lubrication and copper is quickly hashed by the quartz when movement occures. These anti-siezes are not ment for much movement. Does the package say Si dioxide? On some circumstances I use OFC copper 10 guage grounding wire, the kind you might find at home depot for 28 cents a foot. This wire will be dead soft, and you will want to rub it ACROSS the lay direction of the machining marks. Or, you can use a babbit metal, lead bullet, or tin/antimony, tin/lead .125 solder wire rubbed the same way... then add your own lubricant.
Just my 2 cents, nothin written in stone.

[ 05-05-2003, 08:57: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Thanks Malm and smallfry. It does contain Silicone Dioxide.

Is this or the nickel based anti seize harmful to bolt actions, like the cocking cam and the lugs?
Thanks,
Bob