New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting pins in a stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Soon will be converting a Ruger 300 Win Mag to a 416 Ruger. Stock is a factory Ruger laminate. Once the barreled action is ready I plan to glass it but how should the stock be pinned? Brownells sells a stock pin kit but was wondering if I can just drill a couple of well placed holes and then screw some threaded brass rod covered with acraglass through the holes and then make the ends of the rod fit flush?
Do you think I would need to drill a hole down the grip and insert a long metal pin or are these stocks pretty tough?

If the threaded brass rod is a good idea what size should be used and where can it be purchased?
Thanks in advance.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you could countersink the holes and fill them with ebony plugs. I think the purpose built cross bolt kits look pretty nice. My laminated stocks are on a 223 and 308 but my impression is a fella wouldn't absolutely need to reinforce the grip but if you're a belt and suspenders sort of guy you might as well do it before you glass the action.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use 1/4"-20 set screws about 1 1/4" long. Drill the holes using #7 drill then tap with extra long tap. Slather on acra-glass and screw them in and plug with ebony. I'd also recommend a second recoil lug mounted on the barrel.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Where can you pick up ebony plugs?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nother easy thing to do is to put a piece of wire mesh in the accraglas behind the recoil lugs

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never saw any commercially available ebony plugs. I use a plug cutter mounted in a drill press. Practice on some clamped down hardwood scrap, ebony is too expensive to learn on. Plug should stand proud of the stock, then cut and sanded down. May be more trouble than its worth.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I turn them on my lathe.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote