New
Find
Notify
Tools

A5 stock removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a A5 that I would like to remove the stock on. I bought the Brownells screw drivers for the A5 so I have a good fit but I cannot get the screw to move. The lock screw was in very tight but moved. I tried all the tapping on the screw driver tricks with no luck. Any other suggestions? I want to put a left hand saftey in. At this rate I may start shooting right handed.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd soak in a penetrant oil for a day or two. Make sure the primary tang screw scallop is turned so the lock screw can rotate. Try again. If no luck then get a small impact driver from Harbor Freight Tools for about $10. That should move it.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I have a stubborn screw, I take a Hex drive bit of the correct size and put it in the drill chuck with a wrench attached to it to drive it. The action or stock is clamped in the mill vise, the bit aligned with the screw, the spindle lowered to the screw and stiff downward pressure applied and then the wrench is turned to break it loose, doesn't fail unless the screwdriver bit breaks. The trick is to get enough down pressure on the screw to keep the bit from popping out of the slot. I don't use the individual screw drivers, get one handle for replaceable bits and different bits.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I've been doing the same thing for 35 years Jim. Those old Chapman sets had a handle extension with a ratchet that slipped over the shank that you could clamp in the drill press or mill. I also have a bunch of ground blanks stuck to the mill made from scraps of heat treated O1, D2 and 4350 for the screws that happen to be having a really bad day. You have to make sure to remember to back off the spindle as you loosen the screw though. You can strip the threads or cause a lot of damage if you don't.

Stuck Screw by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll getr called bubba for this, but it works for jme. the 1/4" battery impact guns. - i clamp the rifle down tight, find the right size hex bit, check it up and the impact gun does the rest. you do have to make sure that you are holding the gun square and tight

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote