New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lazzeroni thumbhole sporter stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering, sometime in the future, putting together a long range rifle in .300RUM.

My plan is a Remington 700 action and barrel to start with, maybe change the trigger and later also the barrel. A BOSS brake from a Browning I already own would be onto it too.

The first mod would be a Lazzeroni Thumbhole sporter stock from McMillan, an exact copy cut to a 700action.

What are there these stocks like in the way of weight and recoil reducing capabilities they vant on the site?

I want to reduce recoil as much as possible as this rifle will hopefully be used for 350meters and beyond shooting. I am not recoil shy, just that the practice involved for this type of shooting could easily lead to developing a flinch.

What does this setup sound like to all of you here?

B.T.W: This long range shooting would be under very controlled circumstances, limited to shooting over certain field where I would intend setting up targets for practise before waiting for game to turn up. It's really just for the sake of making some loooong shots.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McMillan can make it weigh almost what you want with an expected "lightest" weight probably close to 25-26 ounces and a "typical" weight of 32-34 ounces....can go almost as heavy as you want.

Several things to consider about thumb-hole stocks.

(1) the recoil "reduction" comes about by transferring the recoil from your shoulder to the hand in to thumb-hole. I've tried them and they hurt my hand.

(2) the way you will need to hold the stock may limit the positions you can shoot from.

(3) depending on the size of your hands you may have trouble reaching the trigger properly.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS:
You may want to look into recoil reducers that you embed into the stock. Brownells offers several models for shotguns, but they can be fit into rifle stocks as well. They are basicaly tubes filled with mercury that serve to delay the "equal and opposite reaction" of a shot fired in happiness. I have two and I can really feel how they will work once installed when I shake the small one back and forth. They are not cheap, at about $40-50 each, but what price your shoulder not killing you after a long and enjoyable day at the range?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote