Find
Notify
Tools

Lapping Ruger #1 Rings for the first time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well what a surprise.

The worst alignment I have seen yet!!!!!!!!!

I can see why they sell reamers for this job and why so many darn scope tubes are marked up. What a disappointment.

I generally use Tikka and Sako rifles and I guess I don't get out enough. What other brand of rifles require lots of lapping?

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJP:
Well what a surprise.

The worst alignment I have seen yet!!!!!!!!!

I can see why they sell reamers for this job and why so many darn scope tubes are marked up. What a disappointment.

I generally use Tikka and Sako rifles and I guess I don't get out enough. What other brand of rifles require lots of lapping?

ALL [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect more scope rings are ruined by over lapping than anything else...Lap only enough to remove burrs on the edges and then stop...I never lap rings. I use a piece of emory paper on the burrs if they exist.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know Ruger supplies the rings.
When purchasing rings I buy the Burris rings with the inserts to save the lapping

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Apparently you have never run into a set of rings and base combination that needed it! Some of these combos really do require lapping. Instead of lapping, I like to glass the scope to the rings. It gives a much better fit.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glassing would have been an option and I may still bed them as the fit is pretty poor. Haven't seen a set of rings where the lapping is over done.

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reamed and then lapped all my #1 mounts. The .458 started with about 10% contact on the scope tube, it now has about 95%. I use a small punch to index mark the top and bottom halves so that they don't get mixed up.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote