New
Find
Notify
Tools

finishes
 Login/Join

<Poppy09>
posted
Howdy all. I own one practical carry pistol. An officers model, blued. The sweat and body salts from constant carry in Texas are gonna ruin it. I intend to have it refinished.( I'm forbidden from buying any more guns this year) But I don't know which finish is most impervious to the elements. I have no particular preference as to color as in satin, chrome,robar, parkerized etc. What do you guys think? and can you recommend someone around Dallas. Thanks, and GIG 'EM AGS.........Jim

<Naconah>
posted
There used to be a firm that did a egg shell soft lustre hard chrome type of finish called Armaloy located in Texas. I had two duty revolvers with this finish and that solved the problem entirely. Armaloy has stood up well now for over twenty years and the guns look the way I bought them...almost new.

I like the look and wear of electroless nickel and the hard chrome fininsh, if the weapon is toned down with a fine bead blasting. You can't go wrong with either finish if it is applied professionally by a firm that knows what they are doing. Check to see if Armaloy is still in business in Texas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.craftguard.com. I just had my lever gun done in their "GuardCoat Plus". You will have to deal with shipping your gun, but their prices are the owest I have found anywhere.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Poppy09>
posted
Thanks for the replies, sorry I'm so late with mine. I have attempted to get a message to Eben Brown regarding his French Gray finish (forgot that he did that kind of work) but have yet to hear from him. Any body have the french gray finish? Thanks again. Jim