Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone build on a Mini-mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Got pricing on steel for 20 floormetals. Will order on Monday after I figure what new steel I will need for a REAL welding fixture. Found all my old prints, but will have to reprogram for my current mill.

This minix project will take back burner to a Granite Mtn. Rigby stock job I got at the SCI show. This customer HAS to go across the pond in July. I want to get him the finished rifle sometime in May. I don't have the metalwork to start stocking, so I'll start programming the minix and finish Mauser Xmass first.

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John358:
max, what were the feeding issues and how did you fix them?

gasgunner, I too would prefer a 6mm (or 257)with a little more umph than the 6x45, not that there is anything wrong with it. It is probably the best 6mm choice here. Just thinking I would end up shooting deer with it. By the way I mis-stated the 6.8 Rem SPC as 6.8 REM SPS. Sorry for any confusion.

richj, will you keep your barreled action as is? What is your plan for it?

John358,
I've got reamers and dies for the 6mm on the 6.8. Shoots great, a customer already has 2 deer with it using 85 gr Barnes. We are getting close to 2700 with a 107 and 3300 with a 70. Should make a great cartridge for the little mauser.

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John358:
max, what were the feeding issues and how did you fix them?

gasgunner, I too would prefer a 6mm (or 257)with a little more umph than the 6x45, not that there is anything wrong with it. It is probably the best 6mm choice here. Just thinking I would end up shooting deer with it. By the way I mis-stated the 6.8 Rem SPC as 6.8 REM SPS. Sorry for any confusion.

richj, will you keep your barreled action as is? What is your plan for it?

I'm thinking 7mm BR since it's the same base as the 22-250. I haven't checked the mag yet but OAL looks good.

Rich

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in,

If anyone is interested I have a 6.5 "lawndart" reamer. It is a 6.5 Grendel without the slop of the original print that was designed for the AR-15. Very mild, very accurate. Basically it is a PPC case stretched .100" and necked up to 6.5 mm. Not much different than the 270/7.62x39 mentioned above except there is factory Lapua brass available.

Gunmaker,

I believe you have just found a niche market all to yourself.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I located a CD superior grade mini in .223 for $449. This is a complete rifle. Numrich still has some barreled actions but I went through a dealer that I like and have some trade-in credit at. That credit sweetened the pot. cheers I tried to order a 7.62X39 as well but no luck there...none to be found. Fortunately, the .223 was in stock.
gasgunner, I am interested in a 6mm-6.8SPC. I took all the leads posted here and did some research. I found 6 PPC, 6 BR, 6 TCU, 25 I.H.M.S.A. and quite a few more. All neat rounds that would work...with some work. But, ultimately decided the 6X45 was the most practical. I must keep telling myself K.I.S.S. However, a 6X6.8 sounds like a neck down & trim reloading proposition and an open bolt face (0.04in) & rebarrel job. Hmmm, cant be that easy. If I go that route it would be this fall. Can I look you up then? I have two other gun projects cooking right now and cant swing a third with the little lady wanting to take a "warm vacation" OMG! CRYBABY

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunmaker, what is the order count for the bottom metal up to? Dont forget to count my order for one.

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I think these are the interested parties.

fla3006 1 in 223
TC1 1 in 223
richj 1or2 in 223 & 1 or 2 in 22-250
Max(hm2) 2 in 223---------It sounds like he could use 7 though
john 358 1 in 223
triggertate 1 in 223 & maybe 1 in 22-250

If I missed any please let me know. I'll probably run 15 rails for 223 and 5 for 22-250. I'll only weld the trigger guards on the ones I sell so I can use the extra parts as needed. Maybe Midway or Brownells would be interested. I'm taking that "warm vacation" next week to D World, so If I don't reply online that's why.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'll take one in 223 for certain. As it gets closer, I would like a 22-250 if the funds are present at the time.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
gunmaker: I think these are the interested parties

What about the Guild guys? Any way to contact them? I'd think some would have an interest.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
gunmaker: I think these are the interested parties

What about the Guild guys? Any way to contact them? I'd think some would have an interest.

I showed some pics of my work to a few guild members. Most flipped very slowly through the pics with some nice english walnut, but when the plywood pics came up they pretty much lost interest. I'm sure if I had pics of just the miniX barreled action and no plywood then most of the guild members would have taken more than the average split second to view some interesting metal work.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
To those interested

The minix floormetals are still inline for manufacturing after I stock the GMA Rigby I just received. I'm hoping to ship floormatals sometime in late May. Here's a few pics of the yugo floormetal in my inlet. Notice the front corner of the origional floorplate. I moved this back on my floormetal so I could drill the hinge pin hole on a flat and not on the radius. If you're getting a stock semi inlet, I'd make sure and leave some wood here, or wait for the floormetal and send it to whoever is running the electric beaver. I could move it forward a little before I program the rails if there is enough interest in putting these in origional inleting.

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
To those interested in a better trigger

I installed a Blackburn trigger in my spare action and discovered that the location of the sear from pin hole to the surface the cocking piece engages is correct. The trigger rotates moving the top of the sear up and binding on the bottom of the bolt. It looks like the yugo pin hole is not in the same location as a military 98 in the up and down direction, but front to back is good. In the pic the trigger screw is loose and you can see a .020"-.030" gap between the bottom of the tang and the boss on the top of the trigger. Under the "M" in Made in Yougooooo on the side of the tang. The trigger functions correctly when rotated this little bit. You could solder a spacer on the bottom of the tang to fix this problem. I would NOT grind off the top of sear to fix the clearance problem. You would need to install a new shroud mounted safety.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
i would like to do a 50 baywolf?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three of them, one each in .223, 7.62x39, and one in 25 PPC. They all shoot extremely well and the little PPc is a jewel.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote