New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to find a low temp solder which will hold up in bluing salts ( prefer lead free if possible ). What alloy would you use for resoldering bolt handles back on and shotgun ribs.I would like the highest strength solder possible. Thanks

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
In regards to the bolt handle, the only solder I would use would be a silver solder. I don't think any of the soft solders would withstand the rigors of a bolt handle.

I also do not think there are any solders that will stand up to a hot blue. If there is any soft solder, go with rust blue.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SC,
brownell's force44 won't rust blue.. i KNOW i tried...

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
What I meant to say, regarding the hot blue and soft solder, was that the caustic hot blue will eat solder just like it does aluminum.

Poof it is G..O..N..E

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Force 44 is a pretty fair low temp solder which is suitable for both sights as well as to re-attach some ribs. You will need a blackening agent to cover any solder joint.

For re-attaching bolt handles as in the Remington 700 type, I would recommend using only the high temp, high strength silver solder. Brownells sells this in ribbon form which makes the job a bit cleaner.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any idea on the alloy of the solders?

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote