Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 85 gas venting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
We have some Sako 85 rifles being cleared out at reasonable prices here locally, and some in calibers I have considered for a while. However I am a little unsure about how these actions handle gas in the event of a case blow up or barrel obstruction.

This is prompted by a discussion I had some time ago with a gunsmith I know. He commented that the cut-out for the bolt lugs left a raceway at the top of the Sako 85 action with nothing to obstruct the gas flow from coming back in the shooters face in the event of a case failure. What he is talking about is this (photo borrowed off the internet to illustrate):

This has always put me off the modern made Sakos. However I have been researching this, and cant find any instance of a shooter of a Sako 85 getting a face full of gas. In fact the only photos I can find of a Sako 85 blow up show all the gasses being directed into the magazine well.

So this makes me wonder whether anyone here have any thoughts on how gasses are directed on a Sako 85 and their relative safety?

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Much ado about nothing. Look at any bolt action around the bolt to ring area and you see all manner of clearance which allows gas escape. Except for a Rem 700 there is nothing to keep gas from coming out.
Your scope will cover that area anyway, and the bolt shroud insures that no gas gets back that far.
And truly "blowing up" rifles is pretty easy to avoid.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to admit..doesn't inspire confidence

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and google "Sako ejection problems" before you part with your $$. From what I've read the problem seems to be worse with long action calibers then the shorter ones like 308 based cartridges.. A good buddy of mine bought a Sako 85 Finnlight in 7 Mag. and had nothing but problems with ejection. He was using a 1" Leupold scope in Sako low ring mounts. He soon parted ways with that gun.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Back to catastrophic gas escape; what is the difference in a slot in the top and a slot on the side, especially shooting one left handed?
Or a Mosin Nagant with side locking lugs; same slot at the top.
At least the top slot is blocked by the scope.
Side slots are blocked by nothing.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
I sure like the three 85's I own: .30-06 Bavarian Carbine, .300 WM Grey Wolf and .375 H&H Mag. Kodiak.

Interesting question. Here's an unfortunate example. As we all know we're on our own using handloads. Appears most of the pressure was directed down through the magazine.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...5_action_and_excess_

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is no safe gun.

NON!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think it should be, "There are no safe hand loaders". The guns themselves are quite safe when sitting in the safe. It is when the human element enters the equation that things change for the worse.