New
Find
Notify
Tools

.376 Steyr dimensions
 Login/Join

<KBGuns>
posted
where can i find chrtridge dimensions or the .376 Steyr.

i have been thining about a rilfe, and have not ordered a barrel yet for it, a vz24 action. i have gotten real intrested in the .376 Steyr in the last few weeks, but have not been able to find dimensions.

thanks.

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
The Hornady reloading manual shows:

Rim diameter: 0.495"
Rim thickness: 0.048"
Case diameter just forward of groove: 0.504"
Case diameter at bottom of shoulder: 0.473"
Neck diameter: 0.400"
Shoulder angle: 17.5 degrees
Base to bottom of shoulder: 1.885"
Base to top of shoulder: 1.999"
Maximum case length: 2.362"
Case trim length: 2.350"
Maximum cartridge OAL: 3.110"

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
ty, slingster.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
KG,
Keep reading the forums, I and several others have 376s in the works.

I built mine with a 24" barrel, btw
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
I know, you guys are the reason I can not get anything done. Every day I read this forum and change my mind. [Smile]

I have been reading the other threads. I am thinking about a 24 inch barrel with maybe a #5 contour. I plan on shooting the rifle at rocks and clay pigeons in the desert. So I like it to be a bit heavier. However, I dont exclude the posiblity of going hunting at some point, so I dont want an excesively heavy rifle. i would guess about 10 puonds with scope. Scope will be a Leupold Vari-x II, either 1-4x20 or 2-7x33, I currently lean twords the 2-7x33.

Am I correct in thinking #5 is in general weight, or am I too light or heavy in the barrel?

[ 09-21-2002, 05:22: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
KB,
I bought a camera last night to take pics of mine. It should be ~ 9.5 lbs.. and just about perfect. I like shooting clays on the ground, btw, with rifle or pistols as long as I've checked the backdrop.

In november, spend ~100 for a SW air flight and come down and shoot mine. I've shot it with 235s, and it's a pop gun
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Always have a good back stop. I shoot out in the desert in a nice large horse shoe shaped canyon. its about 40 feet high and covers more then 180 degrees, with range as far as 100 yards. Its like god made it for us to shoot in.

Okay, its nice to know I am starting to estimate weight closely. I look for ward to seeing your rifle pictures. I think I need to get a digital camera aswell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The parent case is a 9.3 x 64 necked out to .375 and shortened to 60 mm. I'm not sure if the case is blown out or not. It's an easy non belted case to reload and brass is cheaper than .375 H&H. I'm really happy with my Steyr Prohunter. It shoots well under a moa if I'm doing my part. My barrel is 20" long, but If I was building a new rifle, I'd probably go with a 24" barrel to get a bit more fps with the heavier bullets.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote