THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone "remodeled" a pre-64 Model 70 stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All -

was wondering if anyone had ever (successfully) remodeled a Win pre-64 Model 70 stock?

I have a FWT stock with no particular collector value, and I was contemplating an attempt to open up the grip a bit. It looks like there might be enough wood there to push the grip back some, as I find it too closed, and figured that this path may have been wandered in the past by others. Ideally I would like to put a grip cap on too, just to dress is up a touch, but after looking at it, I'm not sure that there is enough wood there to even fit a small cap on there and have it look reasonably "right".

If you tried this. please share your experiences/thoughts and pics if possible.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I'd say you are right when you say you can't open the grip much. Here are a couple of pics of one I had done. It uses a "small" Dressel grip cap and moved the grip as far back as was possible.

The caps can e found at
http://www.dressels.com/id16.htm

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a FWT stock with no particular collector value

You'd be surprised what has value and what doesn't. I sold a Pre-64 Featherweight stock on e-Bay that had most of the checkering sanded down to just a shadow and the forearm was "shad-bellied". I put photos of all the flaws in it on my ad and rferred the bidders directly to them. I still got $108 for it. If it is still original, I know you could get enough to buy a semi-inlet with a good grade of wood.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, we will see if a pre 64 mod 70 stock can have the grip opened. Hill country Rifles has my 458wm, which bashes hell out of my middle finger when fired, with the aim of preventing said bashing!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idared- Thanks for sharing and posting the pics! That looks pretty nice, and I think I would be happy with a job like that! It reminds me a bit of some of the Super Grade stocks from that era. Yes, figured that a small cap was gonna be the only way to go. Any chance you might have a pic available which shows the whole butt area? I am curious to see how they maintained and transitioned the toe line into the modified grip area. The checkering looks real nice as well!

MasterRM - While my stock is sound and actually has nice grain flow (therefore can make a nice looking and sound piece) it has been cut for a pad and the barrel channel just barely floated, so I don't think it would bring much more than $150 or so, at best. For that money, I would rather keep it, refinish it, and spruce it up a bit while I save some coin for a new custom stock.

Bryan - I would be really interested to see/hear how you stock comes out from HCR. Those fellow have a good rep, so it should be well done, I would hope. Yeah, that grip and a .458, I can only imagine. Can't figure why they did open that grip up some at some point in production....

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any chance you might have a pic available which shows the whole butt area? I am curious to see how they maintained and transitioned the toe line into the modified grip area. The checkering looks real nice as well!

Here are a few. Let me know if it is not what you wanted. It is actually a remodeled Supergrade stock.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, did you actually modify a Super Grade pre64 stock? If so, I am humbled by your courage ... and your effrontery !!!

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually just finished a Model 70 Safari Express 375 by stripping and adding an ebony forend and inlayed pistol grip with ebony. The grip was the Dakota large size with the grip being sanded to fit.

I also have a super grade pre 64 in 30-06. I will measure the grip to see if it is the same. This rifle is in too good of condition to mess with as I am not a gunsmith. Just did the 375 for a winter project.

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Idared, did you actually modify a Super Grade pre64 stock? If so, I am humbled by your courage ... and your effrontery !!!

Vigillinus

I had to consult a dictionary to see what you were saying about me, but it appears it isn't too derogatory.

As to whether I actually modified a Supergrade stock, yes I actually did. However what you see here is the result of a pattern that was made from a Supergrade stock that I bought for around $10.00.

I actually bought two Supergrade stocks about twenty years ago for $35.00 and modified the one that was the worst of the two. I know it may sound funny now but they didn't bring near the money back then that they do now, or at least not where I lived then. If I recall correctly I sold the other one, which was very nice, for $30.00.

No one has ever accused me of having good a good crystal ball. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idared-

Thanks so much for posting those pics of your wonderful stock! That truly looks nice!

Being that you used a Supergrade for a pattern, I think you were ahead of the curve, so to speak. They usually had a more defined pistol grip with a cap, right?

In studying by plain ole FWT stock, and sizing a grip cap, I just don't think there is enough wood there for me to open the grip up enough to be worth while. Put another way, I kinda came to the conclusion that if i couldn't push the grip back at least 1/4 of an inch, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

I think I will likely just refinish this one. point up the checkering, and - hold onto your hats purists - pillar bed the action into the stock. I want a stable hunting rifle, so at the moment, I "think" that is my plan....

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idared, nice job.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote