New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much?
 Login/Join

<1_pointer>
posted
I recently picked up a slightly used #5 Douglas 6.5-06 barrel. Once I buy an action I'd like to have the barrel set back (for a new throat), rechambered and the action trued. How much am I looking at for this kind of work? Are most gunsmith's leary about working on barrel they didn't thread and chamber? Anyone have recomendations for gunsmiths near Salt Lake City? Thanks for any and all advice as this is my first trip down the slippery slope.

<1_pointer>
posted
Is it free?? [Wink]

<1_pointer>
posted
'Cmon guys! I know someone here has a suggestion or info? From my meager findings, does $200-250 sound about right?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
200... more or less
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What action is the barrel threaded for?

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
The barrel is threaded for a Rem 700.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No used barrel is worth $200. Used barrels bring $50.00 and it makes no diffence who makes them...You can buy a new Douglas for $119.00..check the brownell catalog....wholesale listing, and surly you know someone that can buy wholesale.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
I've already got the barrel. I've been quoted $200 for truing the action, setting the barrel back (using a boring bar if needed), and reinstalling the barrel. Is that about the going rate or am I getting taken?

<RickMD>
posted
My local gunsmith (who does first class work) will chamber and fit a barrel to any bolt action receiver for $125.00.