THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Savage M24 rifle bbl firing pin hits way off center

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage M24 rifle bbl firing pin hits way off center
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up a shelfwarmer M24 12/30-30 combo, a pre-1995, got it cheap. While it turned out to shoot close to MOA with cheap 168-grainers, the firing pin hits the primers way off center. So low that it failed to fire three out my first box of 25. Savage naturally won't touch it and the importer (I live in Norway) went out of business auld lang syne.

The one-man shop that sold it to me wants to try to fix it, though. Any suggestions how to fix this?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
3 out of 25... try another 25. Big Grin Quite frankly I wouldn't piss with it.

Having thought further about your problem, let me add, one way to correct the problem would be to drill and bush the forward portion of the firing pin seat, drill an offset hole for the tip, and make a new firing pin duplicating the offset. The firing pin retaining plate should hold the new offset firing pin in position. Personally if it were mine, before I sold it, I might install a heavier hammer spring and try it again.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll pass this along to my 'smith. If I could be content with just any combination gun I wouldn't have a Savage. But I need a good solid half cock notch while skiing. Carrying a loaded, European combination gun is fine, but not while skiing. Thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the shot barrel off center as well? Maybe it just isn't closing far enough.
Just a thought.
C.G.B.

posted Hide Post
I have only fired a small handfull of shotshells in it, but they all showed positive and perfectly centered primer hits. The action needs to be closed with some persuasion, however, so your idea was basically good. But the problem is the top firing pin channel. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, though!