New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Lon Paul....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys Lon is a great gunmaker and a close friend of mine...he lost all his tools and machines when his shop burnt down this week.

Please consider donating something to help. I'm trying to organize something for him.
It's an upsetting situation, decades of tools and machinery and gun building parts....gone.
Possibly even family heirlooms are destroyed.

I'm going tomorrow (Monday) to set up an account for him to help a little.

I'll post some personal items online for sale for funds for him and his family as well.

Im sure he had insurance but likely probably not enough.

Phone lines are down and none of us have been able to reach him.

I'll have a p.o. Box tomorrow for perhaps fast food gift cards or personal checks.
I'm certain it will be greatly appreciated and I know Lon would never ask for help but he deserves it so any amount will be appreciated.

I'll post some things for sale tomorrow to help start this.

Thanks

Adam Freeman

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I read this and got sick.....such a cross to bare. Lon is a great gunsmith. I have always admired his work. I hope he continues on soon and things get better quickly.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I received an e-mail from Lon today. His shop was a total loss and his Mom's place had some serious damage but is repairable and he is working on that as well as getting water and power to his and her home. He is hoping to have the phone going soon.

As Adam said, he suffered a tremendous loss with both his and his clients guns. I don't know the extend of what he had at the time but as he works on high end guns: from Purdeys, Wesley Richards and Fabbris, as well as being one of the top restorers of Rigby's, I am sure most of the loss are irreplaceable.
But he is working hard to do all that he can.

Adam, if you can ramrod and assist in some sort of recovery account effort I would also appreciate it.
I am at camp now but have a list of other folks who are wanting to help as well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lon has been a good friend of mine for quite a few years now. I've been doing his stock duplication for quite some time. I'd be glad to pitch in any way I can.

Adam, let me know when you get something going. I could assist with some free stock duplication when he gets up and running again.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is his insurance going to cover any of his (and his customers') losses?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Presently we are setting up a bank account.

I'm in the middle of doing the illustrations for the new Swift bullets reloading manual. There are almost 100 pen and ink originals of game animals from around the world.

Some or all of them I will donate for raising money for our friend Lon.

I'm also thinking of donating a hunt for Ohio whitetail. I'm no outfitter but I hunt a lot of private land.
I've personally shot over 6 Boone and Crockett white tails free range.....I think someone might like to hunt with me for Lon's sake!

I will post more in a little bit when we return from the bank.

Thanks again all.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Is his insurance going to cover any of his (and his customers') losses?

George

I would guess that Lon had some insurance but as he worked on a lot of high end guns I doubt it is near enough. I have been to his shop a couple of times and in the past seen Purdeys, droplock Wesley Richards and Fabbris on his bench. In addition he is one of the best restorers of Rigby rifles and always seemed to have a few of them around.
Lon is one of the most honest men I know and is worried about how he can best make things right with all of his clients -- especially after loosing his work shop !!
If Adam can get an account set up and we can chip in toward replacing his tools it will at least give him a means to get started on doing what he does so well ---- building and repairing best guns.
I have already heard from a few others in the industry who are keeping an eye out for shop equipment.

Right now he is concentrating on getting water and power restored and patching up his Mother's residence.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Afreeman: I'll bid on the Ohio hunt and even a 11 chambered in a middle caliber if you could swing something there. Ray

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol, hey Ray....thanks. We got some good deer. I have seen two different B&C this month. Heard of another one ridge over, about a mile as the crow flies. Was told it has a foot long drop. Probably not that long but I'm sure it's nice. I know that buck from last year, I think.

Anyway, much more important to this thread and our friend....

Lon contacted me via email days ago and kindly asked to not do anything to help.

I think to still attempt to talk him into letting us that wish to do so, do something for him. There are some of us who are concerned for him and his family and wish to help.

For those of us who want to help....
I will keep you posted.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Adam, I'd probably have the same attitude as Lon. Reminds me of the song 'I did it my way'.
No amount of money can bring back what treasures were lost. Any word on what was saved yet? I heard he took some along with him 'on the way out'. Ray

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any idea what started the fire? I would like to know what happened to see if my gun smith could benifit by being safer from Lon's experiance.

oil rags /// spontaneous combustion /// electrical /// lightning /// tobaco products
welding///dry box overheating
Just wondering??????

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a wild-land fire that started off of his property from what I have read on the news.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fire Damage Summary

Sounds like three houses and three mobile homes were lost in Lon's area (Bonita Vista).

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Can we get this thread stickied so it will stay at the top of the forum?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody heard any update? how were the things in the safe?
(there's two threads I'll post to both, not sure which is best, maybe combine them?)

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote