Find
Notify
Tools

P14/M17 re-contour
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Whats the "best" size, shape or diameter/radius to re- contour the rear of a P14/M17 action?
I want to fit a set of low profile scope mounts that I can use QD mounts on....and I suppose I may as well ask, what would the best mounts and QD rings to use?....remembering that I am not a millionaire!

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if bases are still in production, but the rifles that I have seen were milled down to Remington Model 30 specs.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
If you have any interest in an old Pachmayr mount that swings out of the way, I can make you a hell of a deal on one. It is marked "Enfield" and it was on a Remington Model 30 Express custom rifle I bought from the classified section here.

Posts: 7592 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks LDO, but I've got a multi sight set-up in mind for this one.

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what is best but the old BSA conversions available in the 50's and 60's are contoured the same as the Remington 700 and use the same bases.

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've re-contoured a P-14 to take a one piece Remington 700 base. No regrets.

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use the old Savage 110 one piece bases because the rear is flat and that makes the rear very easy to mill and fit.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Williams still makes a side mount for the P 17 or at least did 2 years ago. I got mine through Brownell's.

Hip

P.S. I had emailed Williams asking about a mount and they stated the did not make one-----GO FIGURE !

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Whats the "best" size, shape or diameter/radius to re- contour the rear of a P14/M17 action?
I want to fit a set of low profile scope mounts that I can use QD mounts on....and I suppose I may as well ask, what would the best mounts and QD rings to use?....remembering that I am not a millionaire!

Roger

I like them best when the rear is contoured to match the front.. Then mount choice is pretty simple, front and rear are the same.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....here's my mind heading off at a tangent again.....has anyone ever put a rear square bridge on a P14/M17?

My thoughts are to make up a Mauser type rear square bridge with an integral plug to fill the oval hole, and then cut scope mount grooves in it to match a commercial front scope base height, a folding rear ghost ring sight could also be fitted to this rear bridge.... maybe I'm cuckoo but it would make a good set-up with QD rings on the scope.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sky's the limit on that action: http://forums.accuratereloadin...631029791#2631029791

It can go from having hit every branch on the ugly tree to perfection with just a small cash injection.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use CZ type DT rings and machine the square bridge for that; never on a 17 though, but it would look good. They look good on anything.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is how Nick Hughes did mine for the CZ rings.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch,
A beautiful job on a magnificent rifle, now I'm going to show my ignorance once again and ask stupid questions.....in the first pic you can see the bolts and bolt holes, then in the second pic they appear to be machined away, now come the dumb questions....were the blocks soldered or welded as well? Are the blocks and action tapped through together and the screw heads then machined off?
As there don't appear to be any screw heads in the second pic, I cant tell how the blocks were attached.

....sorry to annoy you with these questions, and if you don't wish to reveal any of the metalwork secrets, I can understand.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Thanks Butch,
A beautiful job on a magnificent rifle, now I'm going to show my ignorance once again and ask stupid questions.....in the first pic you can see the bolts and bolt holes, then in the second pic they appear to be machined away, now come the dumb questions....were the blocks soldered or welded as well? Are the blocks and action tapped through together and the screw heads then machined off?
As there don't appear to be any screw heads in the second pic, I cant tell how the blocks were attached.

....sorry to annoy you with these questions, and if you don't wish to reveal any of the metalwork secrets, I can understand.

Roger

That is one reason that I like Nick's work. He machined plugs to fit over the holes.He finish machined them after plugging them.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
homer....never even thought of plugs....Thanks Butch

Roger