New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope bases?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I'm planning to put a small Leupold scope on my "vintage" Parker Hale Safari deluxe cal 375 H&H. I took a look at Warne catalog and I found a partial correspondence; their M902/830 2 piece base, fits all Parker Hale models (no Safari mention) as well as "Mauser 98 altered", "Mauser FN military model" and "Interarms Mark X". What is your opinion? Could it fit? Here is a photo. Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes, it should work just fine.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
That's the one you want.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just one more question; with this shape of bolt knob, do I need high rings?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Just one more question; with this shape of bolt knob, do I need high rings?

No, an Oxy/Acetylene outfit and hammer! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I use lows on my Mark X's. That is using Warne bases and rings.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not change the bolt handle, if I could get the scope low enough to use it, the way it is.

I would buy

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...ARLIN%20-%20MUSGRAVE

quote:
MAUSER - 455. S45: Rear; S46: Front.
955-000-025 S45 Base $10.95
955-000-026 S46 Base $10.95

For a really short scope, sometimes I have to go to a #402M base in the front, that is longer, and has a cross slot that is further back on the receiver.
Those will come with the 6-48 screws that fit the holes in your rifle.
If the screws are even a tiny bit too long, they will interfere with the bolt, and so the screws will need to be shortened in a way that still allows the threads to get started into the female threads.

I would buy some cheap Weaver rings in low, medium, and high for $7.50 each:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?de...2D%53%51%55%41%52%45

After I decided what height I wanted, I would get some better Weaver type rings:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...16&title=PRW%20RINGS

Sometimes the bolt handle will run into the the scope mount. The mount can be altered for clearance, and the bluing touched up. If the bolt handle hits the scope, get higher rings, cut or bend on the bolt handle, but don't cut the scope. If the bolt handle hits the rings, sometimes a tiny mount of material can be removed, but usually, get narrower rings.

Once the whole system was perfect, I would take it apart clean the surfaces with Alcohol, and epoxy the mounts to the receiver with release agent on the receiver and the mounts parallel to the bore per a bore sighter. And I would put Loctite #242 on the mount screw threads. The threads in the ring to mount and cap to ring will stay tight without the Loctite.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your suggestions. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:

I would buy some cheap Weaver rings in low, medium, and high for $7.50 each:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?de...2D%53%51%55%41%52%45

After I decided what height I wanted, I would get some better Weaver type rings:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...16&title=PRW%20RINGS

Weaver-type rings (and bases) work really well, and from that point of view they are one of the best possible choices. They also provide for the possibility of removing the scope easily from the bases, and then returning it, without changing point of impact -- I've done that many times when I wanted to remove a scope from a rifle for some reason (e.g. removing the scope while cleaning the rifle).

What I don't like about Weaver and Weaver-type rings is that, in my opinion, they are very ugly.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote