Find
Notify
Tools

1873 colt plowhandle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted
i have allowed a uberti 1873 style colt with 4 3/4 inch barrel to follow me home. it is just a hoot to shoot except for the gripframe. it rubs my next knuckl with every shot and not that is offending to such a point that im ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater but...

i heard or read awhile ago that a fella installed a larger gripframe on a colt peacemaker to fix this very problem...now i dont remember if this was the instalation of an 1860 style gripframe or not or even if this is a larger frame so if anybody is privy to this id be very interested in this modification.

seems like it would be as simple as putting a super blackhawk grip frame on a regular new model black hawk ruger...dont know tho....anybody can help??

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm unclear on exactly which knuckle, but you probably need a grip with an integral filler piece behind the TG. Pachmayr used to offer such a grip and I used it on my SA Colts for many years but I don't know the status today. Also several firms have offered add-on fillers for revolvers using little spring clips clamped around the TG's lower strap and held by the standard grip panels; might be difficult to find, but not impossible to fabricate.

The 1860 grip frame is almost interchageable in dimension to the 1873 except for the added length of the lower straps. The TG bow size and shape are virtually identical.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very simple approach to the recoil is a glove.
Even one of the thin leather driving type gloves will mute the hitting of the knuckles quite a bit and make it easier to shoot for fun shooting. Just a thought and it works for me.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might take some fitting, but you can use the triggerguard, backstrap and grips of a Uberti 1860 Army. They should be available in either steel or brass, and you can do a combination of either.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you're holding it right? Unless you have a very small hand, you need to hold an SAA with three fingers and curl the little finger under the grip.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the thing glove too. I think a filler grip would make it worse, it sounds like the trigger guard is slamming into the knuckle. That's one of the reasons for Ruger's square back trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk.

One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
thankyou all for the helpfull hints and suggestions. and yes im holding it rite...im a 6foot 6.5 inch man with very large hands and i do know about the three finger hold very well. its just that long years ago i had a ruger blackhawk in 45 colt with the 4 and 5/8ths barrel length with black rubber style grips [maybe packmyer] that kept this from happening and now i cant seem to remember what i did for it and whether i can do the same for the colt '73' style revolver...ill try the 1860 gripframe assembly and see what happens.

thanks again for all the helpfull hints. i just refuse to give up on this style revolver as the fun factor and that along with loading blackpowder in it is just a hoot to shoot...

have you ever touched off[ in a '73' style colt revolver] 40 gr of goex 2f blackpowder behind a 250 style bullet in cast lead?? if not you owe yourself the pleassure...

load the 40gr into the case...compress it to the depth of the bullet up to the crimp groove...seat your bullet and definetly crimp it into place and go outside and get an education on the power of these 45's as origanaly loaded.......whewww if your not impressed then it will take something to do so.

thanks again all

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote