THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN/Mauser identification: What do I have?
 Login/Join

<J Brown>
posted
Well I got to the gun show late and well, you know I "had" to buy something before leaving. I found an interesting 7x57 with double set triggers and a large FN logo on the top of the front ring. The barreled action had seen little use and at the price I said "what the hell" and bought it.

Now I have to wait ten days(CA law) before picking it up and I am begining to wonder what I have. This rifle has the "standard" FN commercial bolt handle as seen on the JC Higgins, Mossberg and Sako rifles which used the M51 FN action (swept back with the underside flat and checkered). The bottom metal looks like the standard FN commercial unit (long release button, on military type nonhinged floor plate) but it has lock screws like a military unit. The action has the stripper clip lips and the thumb slot on the left rail. The safety is a military type three position.

The action markings are as follows:

Top of front ring: Large "FN" logo, "1938" below the logo.

right side of front ring: serial number "7xxx".

Left rail: first line "Fab. Nat. D'armes GUERRE"
second line "HERSTAL BELCIQUE"

The "Fab. Nat." on the left rail was abbreviated but I am not sure it had the "." after "Fab" and "Nat". The action also has the "C-ring".

So what do I have? Is this a rare FN Banner action suitable as a base for the finest custom rifle or is this some cobbeled up miliary receiver with a commercial bolt? As a complete rifle there can't be much value as it has a Fajen "Weatherby" type stock and aftermarket barrel(no sights). If the action is not worthy of a custom rifle I am going to have some sights installed and restock it in the Orberndorf Commercial style and dress up in a green German hunting outfit and take it hunting for California roe deer(blacktails).

Waidmannshiel!
Jason

<JBelk>
posted
Jason---

That's an early FN sporting rifle barrelled by FN originally. Most had a bag grip with straight-grained French Walnut. They were made in 6.5x57, 7x57, 8x60 and 9.3x62 that I've seen. It's very possible other European calibers were made as well. They were VERY nice sporting rifles but WW-II interrupted production.

This was the rifle the latter Brownings were based on. Hopefully it still has the original barrel with the sleeved rear sight and matted front.

Nice gun. Congrats. Sometimes it really pays to look past the stuff Bubba put on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They were also produced in 404 Jefferys (extremely rare) and 375 H&H which are hard as hell to find...These big bores were made for the African Game Depts and you see them in Africa in the hands of Game Scouts in Tanz quite often, and they, of course, have been abused to no end...

These are the finest of using guns, and that beatifull FN Logo, Fabrique Nationale just spells DGR....

I will buy every one I see in 404 and 9.3x62, makes a mighty fine investment as does the 375 but I have too many 375 cal. rifles at the present, unless I find one at a very good deal.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
They were also produced in 404 Jefferys (extremely rare) and 375 H&H which are hard as hell to find...These big bores were made for the African Game Depts and you see them in Africa in the hands of Game Scouts in Tanz quite often, and they, of course, have been abused to no end...

I know a person who bought one cheap since there wasn't any factory ammo for it according to the gun dealer. I still regret I didn't bought it [Roll Eyes]

I have heard that the rifles were a part of the homestead packages sold to Europeans moving to Africa. Does any one know more about this?

/ JOHAN

<J Brown>
posted
Thanks for the info. The rifle does not have the original barrel or sights. The barrel on the action has an American contour and no sights or markings. Do you know if the double set triggers were original for these rifles?

Well it looks like I paid $300 for an interesting action with a bunch of non original crap around it.

Ray may have already answered this question: Would this action be strong enough to build a 404 Jeffery on? I think the thumb slot/stripper clip lips and the FN banner on the front ring make this the perfect canidate for a classic open sighted DG rifle. I have this dream of building a rifle like the 2002 ACGG rifle but with a thumb slot/stripper clip action.

Is this action heat treated like the miliatry actions or is alloy steel like the later commercial FN actions?

quote:
These are the finest of using guns, and that beatifull FN Logo, Fabrique Nationale just spells DGR....

This was the first I have seen with the large FN logo, when I saw it there was no turning back.

Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the large FN logo, when I saw it there was no turning back.

Boy...do I (and the moths in my wallet) know THAT feeling! [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Posts: 5844 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Certainly not in a league to argue with Jack or Ray, but another possibility is that the FN action was sold here in the U.S. Frank DeHass's book on bolt action rifles indicates FN actions configured as you describe were advertised and sold here just before or after WWII.

Posts: 5 | Location: Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
marsingbob---

There were thousands of FNs sold in the US but ONLY actions barreled *by* FN had the logo on the front ring.

I have one like Jason bought here but I think it was salvaged from the bilge of a salt water tow boat... pretty much eaten up by the rust worms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW Jim Brockmon, 208-934-5050 has two original FN's (high comb models) in 375 H&H and they are absolutly minty...I think he has $1400 on them. If I wanted a 375 H&H cal. gun I would much prefer these guns to ANYTHING on the modern market of new guns...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote