Notify
Tools

Continuation of 425 WR Thread
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hide Post
Rich,

Just for drinking and talking only, could a 760 barrel (ya, Remington) in 35 Whelen be re-bored to 428 and survive?

Remember, just talking.

Roger QSL
Posts: 806 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000

Ignored post by Roger posted 22 November 2006 04:50 Show Post

Idaho Sharpshooter
one of us
Posted 22 November 2006 07:38 Hide Post
theoretically, yes; practically, probably not. The case is 2.64" VS the Whelen at 2.494", but IMHO the primary obstacle to be overcome is the .073" larger body diameter and that stinking rebated rim. It is made from the .404Jeffery, and it is likely too fat to be made to fit in an '06 diameter magazine/clip. Are you looking for something with a bit more steam than the Whelen for a 760? My suggestion would to be wait just a couple more weeks and build either a 35 or a 40 Newton, using the Jamison brass. The case is .520" head and .525" rim diameter, and 2.494" long. Length is a wash, and the rim could be turned down to a dimension that would feed and eject reliably. Maybe just look here for the 375 Ruger dimensions, that might be THE answer, ecked up a little. The easy answer, build a 375 Whelen. If you really want a big bore, and will wildcat; look at the 9.3x64 Brennecke cartridge. It is .504" body diameter, and .492" on the rim. Just open the boltface .020" for the rim, and neck it to .404J or even a short .458". Could kick some serious big game butt as a .458x64.

Waaaay more information than you asked for, but some serious options. .458 Ruger...that will work I think.

Rich,

After looking over the case specs in the, Handloaders Manual Of Cartridge Conversions, a few things pop up that might support the above conversion.
06 head dia. .470
425 WR head dia. .543

06 case length 2.494
425WR case length 2.64

06 rim dia. .473
425WR rim dia..467

06 oal 3.34
425 oal 3.30

Some very interesting numbers there, especially the oal.

As to rim dia., should work ok on 06 bolt face.

As to head dia., questionable.

As to magazine width, maybe. Only a smith who has worked over a 760 would know.

The really big question I have is, how is the barrel attached to the action? Looks visually like some sort of press in affair.

As to the bolt, or what ever Rem. calls it, looks very marginal as to good, and solid lockup.

Again, just rambling here. Wink

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
The really big question I have is, how is the barrel attached to the action? Looks visually like some sort of press in affair.

As to the bolt, or what ever Rem. calls it, looks very marginal as to good, and solid lockup.

I can’t say about cartridge size but a 760’s barrel is held on by a stud and a nut to the receiver and the “bolt†locks up directly into the barrel.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked a 1952 vintage model 760 in 35 Remington.

Muzzle dia is .590

Without disassembly the bolt head looks like .660 dia less locking lugs. The lugs add about .050 per side for a total bolt head dia over the lugs of about .760. The extractor is the 700 Rem. style. I am not sure that you could get the case head to seat against the bolt face before the case body interfered with the rim of the bolt head.

The inside of the magazine box is 3.370 long if the spacers for the .35 Remington are removed.

Might have to trim the barrel extension and locking lug seats slightly to get it to clear the front end on ejection--- and it is a M700 type ejector too.
The ejection port is only .510 wide. Making it wider at the bottom will start to expose the right bolt slide rail. Opening the top will probably let the sliding dust cover fall out unless you are careful or devise some way to retain it.

Loading in an emergency would stink due to the tiny ejection port and clumsy magazine release. I am not sure that the front of the 760 magazine would take the pounding when the nose of a round slams against it on recoil.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote