New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 141
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just out of curiosity , has anyone ever had the adjustment piece on the muzzle of the 141 removed to view ?
I would like to know how they work.

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff that has a little screw in the front between the barrels; when you screw in and out it moves a wedge between the barrels forcing them apart.
I figure the Merkel works similarly.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks but I was interested to know how to remove the muzzle cover of the adjusters .The bluing is different so must be attached by screws .

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with Merkels.
Do you see screws?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I find adjustable regulation to be a lazy makers way to save the money it costs to regulate the double at the factory. The absolutely worse place to save money by any maker of double rifles is to leave it up to the buyer to regulate the rifle...……………………………………. thumbdown old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, seriously! What that feature does is allow users to regulate their rifle for different loads and bullet weights. primarily on smaller caliber rifles.
Something not needed on large bores which tend to use one bullet weight at one velocity.
I have a Krieghoff 9.3, a Chapuis 9.3 and a couple of Baikals with that feature; it makes them far more useful than the fixed barrel types. Smaller bores have a wider variety of bullet weights and being able to use them is a definite plus.
Poo poo them if you want; it works (does not save any money).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why I bought the 141 model rather than 140.
But I had a problem in regulating . When I used a bore sighter I intended to set the barrels to the classic X settings . That is , left barrel low and to the right and right barrel low and to the left .
I found I could set the right barrel low and to the left but the left barrel seemed not to have sufficient adjustment to cross over to the right .In attempting to move it I used too much force and stripped the inner allen key recess.

So..the dealer's gunsmith can fix it but that means a couple of months I would suppose .I'm just relieved that it can be done locally .

My concerns are : why couldn't I get classic cross over settings ?
Indeed , are they necessary ? The rifle regulated at the factory .
Do the extra short barrels invalidate the classic X setting ? After all , the projectile is in the 21 1/2 inch barrel a shorter time .
Might the fact that the barrels are not soldered to the muzzle affect this situation ? the left barrel is free for the last couple of inches but is firmly held by the adjusting piece.

I thought after sending the barrels off that the larger third hole in the muzzle end might be a simple removal screw opening to release the adjusting mechanism cover .The bluing on the adjusting piece differs from the barrel bluing so they are done separately .

A few turns of an allen key and a visit to the local hardware store for a new screw might have been a short and simple solution but.. never mind ... I'm grateful I can get the job done locally .

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Did you shoot it? I would not rely on any pre calculated impact points; it is not that simple. If it was, they would just dial them in at the factory and solder them together. Don't work like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, not after attempt at bore sighting .
But I had failed attempts at regulation prior .
You could be correct . Some experts warn that not all rifles behave as expected .
I will see what happens after adjusting screw repair .

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Always shoot them first; true, they are creations of sorcery and witchcraft and do not follow any preconceived scientific formulas. Too many variables in shooting them by humans; completely unlike a single barreled rifle in how each barrel delivers bullets. I have built a few of them and adjusting the barrel is an interesting process, and I am talking about soldering them together.