THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Weaver Grand Slam Bases for M70 "Super Grade" Classic

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver Grand Slam Bases for M70 "Super Grade" Classic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

I don't have the gun at hand, but I figured one of the resident experts here might be able to help...

I have one of the early (mid-1990's?) M70 Super Grade (with the re-introduced claw extractor) in .300 Win Mag. I would dearly like to obtain a pair of Weaver (type) steel bases (2 pc) for it.

If I choose Weaver brand bases, is it correct that a "Grand Slam" base is the steel base??

Weaver's mount chart

http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx

shows two options for a M70 long action. One with "hole spacing same" (apparenly the same as for 670 or 770), and one for "hole spacing different" (same as M70 Super Express). Not having my gun at hand, I don't know which base option is the right one. Do any of you guys happen to know??

Thank you very much in advance

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those early super grades #21XXX(in .300 Winnie)

Hole spacing on mine is the same as regular classics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Weaver Grand Slam bases are steel.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold also makes a steel "weaver style" base set. The term "hole spacing same" refers to the hole spacing being the same for front and rear base

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Leupold also makes a steel "weaver style" base set. The term "hole spacing same" refers to the hole spacing being the same for front and rear base

+1

And on the long magnums (375 H&H etc.) the hole spacing is not the same as the rear bridge has narrower spacing than the front ring.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys! Does anybody know whether my M70 will have "same holespacing"??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just take a look at it; they should be about .860" spacing (around 7/8")

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote