New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger tang safety problem??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger 77 tang safety model in 30/06, which is probably the best shooting rifle I've every owned (and that's saying a lot!). My problem is that no matter how careful I am, any time I'm in the woods carrying it, I seem to always flick the safety off inadvertently. I've had so much trouble with this that I've reverted to not loading it until I'm situated in my stand or not moving at all for a while. I have other new model 77s and I guess I'm used to the way the safety works on them and I really trust them, but not the old one. It's so bad I'm seriously thinking of trading it off, but it shoots so well, I just hate to.
Any suggestions for aftermarket safeties or mods to the safety button?
Thanks

<Savage 99>
posted
Since nobody has answered I will chime in. I have a 77 Mark 1 here to develop loads for. Your right that the safety is easy to push off as it extends to the end of the tang. Just gripping the wrist of the stock and the web of my hand touches it. This safety is not all that easy to push either and makes some noise going off.

Yet sure enough it can be put of fire if you just handle the rifle.

I would never sell a rifle that shot well. Don't be stampeded into something impulsive. Just put the rifle aside until you correct the safety.

Some sources of information might be to call Ruger and ask what to do. They might cure the problem for free. Ruger is big on safety. Or go to the Ruger forum and ask there. Then perhaps the mark 11 safety can be fitted to a Mark 1. Another idea is to replace the trigger with a new one that comes with a safety.

Sorry but I am not going to take the stock off of this friends rifle. The load work is already done and I just need to make some brass for it.

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
I had a 77 mk1 .308 that did the exact same thing. I often checked the safety on that gun, only to find that it was in the fire position.
This, coupled with the fact that it did not shoot worth a darn, caused me to trade the thing in on a different rifle. The guy at the store said that the safety on some older 77's were known for being "loose".

Let us know if you solve the problem.

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that with a lot of tang safety rifles and shotguns. I am just extra careful about checking them now and then and make sure they are always pointed a safe directions.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the 77 and I have not had this problem. Sounds like you have some wear I would take it to a gun smith or you could call Ruger for a fix. I wouldnt trade off a gun with a problem with it.

Posts: 132 | Location: Ky | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop the barreled action out of the stock.

Take a close look at the lever on the safety block pin, this is the pin that is linked to the tang safety slide, and this pin goes through the trigger group and blocks the trigger when "On".

There should be a funny looking coil spring, made out of light gauge wire, the loop is about 3/8" diameter. One leg of this coil spring is inserted in the hollow "roll pin" that secures the trigger group into the receiver. The shorter leg of this coil spring fits in a hole on the safety block pin. This coil spring holds the safety link in the "on" or the "off" position and gives a slight "detent" feel.

Sometimes this coil spring is missing, or improperly installed.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People I hunt with don't use the safety, because they are never foolproof, and thus, there is never any reason to use it. Bolt open until ACTUALLY hunting ie see game, push bolt forward, leave handle up, close bolt when ready to fire. Break the rules , you do not hunt with our group again. I have been hunting for nearly 35 years, and honestly, have never needed to use the safety in all that time. In fact, to me, the most DANGEROUS thing on a firearm is the 'safety'. False sense of security!!! BIG TIME!!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on Rugeruser,

keep that bolt handle up and out of battery until ready to shoot. No safety is safe !!

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
The subject safety is not safe. So something needs to be done. I don't like the click my friends 77 makes and still it can be pushed off by handling.

Each person is responsible for their firearm. My friend hunts with me and he says that many shotguns have tang safeties. Very fancy doubles do also.

Depending on how that trigger pull was on that tang safety 77 I might be tempted to put an aftermarket trigger on it that comes with a safety. On the other hand a heavy trigger is safer as well.

Hunting with the bolt open and a cartridge in the chamber might result in the bolt pulling back and the cartridge falling out. You might as well close the bolt on an empty chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that method of closing the bolt only when you see game is rather impractical. Around here it would mean you'd only get a brief glimpse of a disappearing white tail vanishing in the brush after you closed the bolt. I worry about the click of a safety coming off or a hammer being cocked spooking them, and try to manipulate them so as to damp the sound. (I ran off a nice buck once with my knees popping as I squatted a bit to get my barrel under some foliage for a clear shot.) True, no safety is 100% safe. That's why proper gun handling is so important. If you never point the gun at someone, nobody's going to be shot. I'd be pissed at seeing someone point a rifle at me, open bolt or no.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey since nobody said it yet there is one place in the country that makes a win 70 style 3 position saftey for rugers. I put one on Dad's ruger last year and they are slick. Little pricey but REAL nice. If you want email me and i'll find out where. I got the paperwork at work.

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 875x:
I have two of the 77 and I have not had this problem. Sounds like you have some wear I would take it to a gun smith or you could call Ruger for a fix. I wouldnt trade off a gun with a problem with it.

I traded the gun in, and told the shop owner that the safety was not working properly. In retrospect, however, you are right. I should have had the problem fixed, before trading it in. For all I know, the gun went on to the rack without being fixed.

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to see that you traded it in. I buy every 77 I can find, especially when they really shoot. I love the tang safety models that much.

We all know that the reall safety is between our ears. I never put my finger on the trigger until I see game. VERY QUIET, NO CLICK. In fact using your finger to block the trigger also adds a degree of confidence.
Thank you John for the description of the trigger/safety group. I pulled a couple of mine to look and be sure that little (very little) spring was OK.
This thread was very helpful.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things come to mind quickly. I agree with the guy who said leaving the bolt open until you see game is impractical, guess I won't be huntin' with that bunch either. I also agree that safe handling is all of our salvation, and I do it religiously. If I did that on my farm, I would have only killed one deer that I can recall in the last 10 years. I did bend the safety spring to make it stronger and it helps, but I just can't get used to not handling the rifle by the pistol grip area. I do DEFINITELY check the safety often when I'm using that rifle, believe me. It's just a neusiance to have to spend time worrying about it when the newer Rugers are so easy to deal with. AND they new Rugers block the firing pin so there is very little chance of them going off with the safety on.

[ 11-29-2003, 21:43: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I don't know if this would help, but on the No. 1's and no. 3's I know that one of the things they do for ejection is to recess the safety more, maybe that would alleviate your problem.

You might talk to Bowen, I think I saw that they do a lot of work on Rugers. maybe they have an idea.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote