Find
Notify
Tools

Custom swivel base step by step!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
Here's a few, ok lots of pics of a swivel base I built for one of my guild projects. too bad this project is only going to be used for stockmaking admission.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Nice. I really like your indexer tailstock.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
more pics added to my first post

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice. Also, a beautiful barrel profile.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,
I'll bet you are a shoo in.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Outstanding work James! Bet you could sell a few of those if you were of a mind too!

P.S. There's a little lint hanging around on the metal...might want to take care of that. dancing

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Beautimus

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool!!
But there's something wrong with your barrel.
Aren't they supposed to be round? Cool

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Is the center spring loaded on that, or simply clamped? That just gave me an idea to make one rather than buy for my L&W indexer.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That is really nice work.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Your in! That's nice.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
quote:

I agree. Is the center spring loaded on that, or simply clamped? That just gave me an idea to make one rather than buy for my L&W indexer.

The tailstock works just like one from a lathe. The only difference is I didn't use a left handed tap to thread the ram. Makes me think twice before I move the ram. There is a lock screw on the back side that runs in a keyway in the ram. It keeps the ram from rotating and locks the ram.

I milled a keyway in the bottom of the indexer exactly on center. The same for the tailstock. That way I can slap the indexer and tailstock on the mill and not have to spend any time dialing them in. The sides of the indexer I milled so I can use it in the mill vise on parallels when I don't need the tailstock.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
When you get into the Guild you should teach the other guys how to take photos of their work.

I'm serious. A few guys take good photos but most of them are camera and computer illiterate. Good photos and the ability to share them will bring business to your door.

Good luck (not that you'll need it considering all the talent you have). I'll look for you in Reno.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James, that is absolutely beautiful work. I like your octagon to round transition also.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
damn you're good! As I post on a regular basis, I love it when you post pics. Gives hacks like me soemthing to shoot for!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tailstock works just like one from a lathe. The only difference is I didn't use a left handed tap to thread the ram. Makes me think twice before I move the ram. There is a lock screw on the back side that runs in a keyway in the ram. It keeps the ram from rotating and locks the ram.

I milled a keyway in the bottom of the indexer exactly on center. The same for the tailstock. That way I can slap the indexer and tailstock on the mill and not have to spend any time dialing them in. The sides of the indexer I milled so I can use it in the mill vise on parallels when I don't need the tailstock.

gunmaker

Thank you for the description and good luck!

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Nice Job!!! Well done, you worked a lot to made that custom s.b. !!!.Thanks for sharing it.Regards

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are great pictures of some really awesome work. I wonder how many realize the time and skill involved on just that swivel base and put that into perspective with a completely finished custom rifle.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is marvelous work, I see I have been making my swivels the hard way as you have shown. Thanks for the post.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
What do you charge for one of those? Installed.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I'd machine & put one on for $160 custom fit to your contour. NO STAINLESS!! This wouldn't include rebluing the barrel.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn James, I should have had you do that when you did my barrel.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! I also like the barrel, all makes for some very talented workmanship...the problem with nice metal work is you need to put it on a plain jane stock or it may take awhile before it is seen. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Very Nice, and i also like the barrel...shows your talents and workmanship, the only problem i see is you'll have to put it on a plain jane stock or it may take awhile for someone to see it! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sorry killpc