THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone here in Pocatello, Idaho? Need help w/unresponsive gunsmith!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here in Pocatello, Idaho? Need help w/unresponsive gunsmith!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I am at the point of calling the D.A. there, then the ATF. I sent a barrelled action to a smith to have some of his custom bases made to fit. He called me and told me that the action had been overpolished and need to be trued up and gave me the price and I okayed it. he kept in touch with any details he came across, then after a couple of months called and said, "Your work is complete and the rifle is packed to ship, Please send me the money" I mailed him a check the next day and it cleared my bank a week later. Weeks go by, No gun, No bases..Hmnn..
Make phone call, leave cordial message, "I still have not received the gun, could you call and give me a tracking number? No reply. One week later, same thing. Send E-mail to address that I have received messages from him before, No reply. Call, leave message that I am concerned that it may be lost, no reply. Send more e-mails, no reply. This was all in Aug, sept, oct last year. I paid $600 and cannot get a return call. He said work complete, send money, he got paid and I got dick! I have had it, but before I press charges, I wonder if a local person may be able to contact him on the off chance that he has been lying in a coma for the last 8 or 9 months and could not uphold his obligations. I just called and left him a no B.S. message about legal action, the first time I have been unkind. If someone here that lives in Pocatello would be interested in helping me contact him, please PM me and I will give you his name and number. If I cannot get some resolution, I will post his name and the whole story here and every other gun board I can think of, but I am trying one last time to be a nice guy. Thanks, Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lee440,

This wouldn't happen to be Michael Scherz would it? The custom bases made me suspect it is. I had a very poor experience with him on a 550 Magnum rifle project and he has since moved up to Pocatello. If it is Scherz he still owes me $$.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee,
During business hours call the Pocatello police dept. or sheriff's dept. and tell them you have been unable to contact the guy. Tell them he has your rifle and you think he may be dead or gone.

I had to do that to another smith. The only way I got my stuff back.

If that doesn't work, do the certified Lawyer Letter! At this stage the only thing these guys listen to is "Penalty of Law".

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Sounds all too familiar... PM sent

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Damn, you guys must be psychic! I am beginning to think we need a list of folks not to do business with! This is not a case of just being a bit behind, this was obtaining money by fraud! With everyone else chiming in on their experience, this guy needs to be blackballed! As much as I hate too, I guess I will turn it over to the police on monday morning. I left him a message to call me back today, and I will give him that. Come monday, it is the Authorities! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest assure the very worst thing any person accepting money for services not rendered can do , is NOT RESPOND OR MAKE GOOD ON SAID SERVICES !.

Gunsmiths by in Large are honorable people , sometimes things happen beyond their sight .

Then again some like any other business are Criminals !.

A Gunsmiths reputation is Paramount to his trade !!.

Without it they are worthless !.

Forums such as this tend to " Weed Out " the undesirables pretty fast . He'll have a different profession soon enough !.

Hope all works out well for you !?.

If in the future your in need of a " Reputable Quality Gunsmith " there are several on this sight who MORE THAN QUALIFY !.

I'm NO GunSmith , however I have used the services of a couple and they are STAND UP PEOPLE !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
About three years ago I had Michael Sherz put a pair of custom scope bases on an action. It took a while but on the second attempt I got a pair of bases that look great. As far as I know though I was just about the last person to get any work out of him. Since then, I've heard nothing but horror stories from his would-be customers (including a few from AR). It's a damn shame because he has lots of talent.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like another example of talent and capability but no work ethic

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Update! Mr. Scherz phoned me today and assured me that my stuff will be shipped today and will call back with a tracking number. We shall see. If it is not in my hands in one week, back to legal. I will keep y'all updated. Thanks, Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had Michael do some work for me a few years ago. Back when I dealt with him I found him to be very accessible and honest to a fault. My only complaint is he took forever to get going on my project.

Here is a set of bases he built for me.

Just thought I'd throw something possitive in.

Lee, I wish you all the best.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Terry, I can appreciate that! I have an Argie 1909 that I am building a .318W.R. on and he was the one I wanted to do the bases . I know I am more dissapointed than he is! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
IF any of the business you've conducted with this turkey has been via the U.S. Postal Service, (like MAILING him a check, etc.), contact the Postal Inspector. They have very broad investigative & enforcement authority. (They frown on "using the mails to defraud")...

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
IF any of the business you've conducted with this turkey has been via the U.S. Postal Service, (like MAILING him a check, etc.), contact the Postal Inspector. They have very broad investigative & enforcement authority. (They frown on "using the mails to defraud")...

Tried that once and to no avail. I filed a formal complaint with them. I had a local Postal Inspector tell me unless it it for more than $30,000 you can kiss it goodbye; they won't even investigate it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have known Mike for about fifteen years. I don"t believe he is dishonest just slow to respond. He did a number of Rifles for me when he was here in Yuma. It was always a hassle to get him to get the job done. One cant work two or three days a week, and get the jobs done. He is realy quite talented, and does good work.
About ten or twelve years I was buying VZ24s at big five and having mike rebarrel them,"I did a bunch" they all shot well but I kept selling and trading them for somthing else. Anyhow if you hgive Mike a job be prepaired to wait. He is talented but poor work ethics. Mike if your reading this it is just the truth.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Update! Mr. Scherz phoned me today and assured me that my stuff will be shipped today and will call back with a tracking number. We shall see. If it is not in my hands in one week, back to legal. I will keep y'all updated. Thanks, Lee.

Lee - did you get your rifle back?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have known Mike for about fifteen years. I don"t believe he is dishonest just slow to respond

As I read it he told the customer it was ready and asked for final payment 9-10 months ago then didn't send the gun. To me that isn't poor work ethics that is being dishonest. Poor ethics went out the window when he asked for final payment saying it was finished.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those that have received their work from Scherz and are happy I am sincerely glad. HOWEVER please note that some of us (including some AR posters here) have been left high and dry! I know Scherz can do good work...that is why I went with him for my 550 Mag project.

Slow work does not mean NO work. I have heard every excuse under the sun and it just doesn't do it any more. To me Michael ripped the "internet" 550 Mag project when in reality it could have been a boon to him. He might do fine work when he wants to but to me he is a thief!. How else could one classify a person who promises a product (with money down) and then walks away?

Michael,

You need to deliver on your product. I realize I have been part of the problem for a couple of years as I haven't really challenged you (pushed you, sued you). If you are a great smith but just slow you NEED to communicate with your customers. Myself I have had enough.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lee440:

What's the status on your rifle?

Good luck to all who are involved with this guy.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I received the rifle . The receiver work and bolt handle were fine as were the bases, EXCEPT, none of the bases were polished, all show machine marks and will require a lot of finish work ie: they don't look like the Mauser 1909 ones in TC1's post above. He threw in an extra set of Win 70 bases for my trouble. That the man is talented, there is no doubt. I just can't get past how I was treated. I have several rifle projects I would have cheerfully sent him until this. It's a damn shame. Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevertheless, I am very happy to hear that you have your rifle back!

But as you said its a damn shame!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Lee, for what it's worth mine didn't come back polished either. I did the polishing you see in the picture. as a matter of fact you can see polishing rouge in the picture if you look hard.

I'm glad you got the rifle back. BTW, most of my projects are over a year behind schedule. I just handle things a little differently than others. Welcome to the world of custom rifles.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
He threw in an extra set of Win 70 bases for my trouble.

Generous guy.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote