New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vetterli Re-line question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am unsure about some dimensions. Bobby Hoyt said he could do it but I am concerned about wall thickness and remaining barrel wall at the muzzle. The barrel is 33" long. The minor breech thread diameter is 0.837. The cartridge base is 0.539. The OD on the muzzle is .707. The bore will be 0.429.

If I go with a 5/8 liner the the barrel shell will be 0.041 thick at the muzzle. The Liner thickness around the case head will be .043. The bore wall of the liner will be 0.98. That seems too thin to drill out the original barrel a the muzzle without collapsing it.

If I go with a 9/16" liner The chamber will only have 0.011 at the cartridge case head. The muzzle shell ends up at 0.072 wall thickness. The bore wall is 0.066. So this is good at the muzzle but too thin at the chamber?

It seems like I need stepped liner?

Or, A whole new barrel custom turned and using the complicated contour in the breech end from the old barrel. I am not interested in duplicating the fancy machining on the breech end, it is tapered octagon fading into the round tapered barrel. IT also has a raised dovetail for the sight.

Anyone run up against this and how did you solve it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He knows what he is doing. Since this is for black powder it will be ok.
But depending on what he charges, it might be best for a new barrel; then you will know what you have.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see one barrel on ebay. The seller does not inspire confidence. The original bores were undersized for 44 cal bullets. I also have no assurances that the barrel will index properly. The for end is retained my a wedge in a dovetail so setting it back is a problem.

Sure wish Mr. Hoyt did email so I could spell all this out for him to consider. He is super busy and I don't want to waste his time.

Added later: I called Bobby Hoyt. He has no problem making a stepped liner! What amazing service.