THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    M70 feeding issue- What's wrong with this picture?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 feeding issue- What's wrong with this picture?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I just purchased a Win M70 in 416 Rem Mag. here on AR.

I got some brass and decided to test functioning... Well it would not even chamber a round!

I removed the bolt and tried to snap a case up under the extractor. I think I found the problem.

Do you see anything wrong with this picture????????????

bewildered

And I was hoping to test fire it this weekend. CRYBABY

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you'd put it(ext that is)on a LH bolt it would work just fine. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Nice! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Looks like a LH extractor on a RH bolt Wink

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My M70's extractor looks just like that in my 375 and works perfectly.

It's left handed though.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I had already planned to change to an after-market extractor. This will just motivate me to get around to it quicker.

I have a feeling that this rifle has spent its life as a safe queen. I really wonder if this is how it left the factory.

I think I might still take it to the range this weekend. I will just remove the bolt and insert a round under the extractor, then re-install. It will be a very slow single shot until I correct the extractor.

Jason

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I really wonder if this is how it left the factory.

I doubt it. Of all the weird shit I have seen coming from the factories over the years, I ain't seen that. Somewhere there is an owner with a left handed bolt wondering the same thing. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somewhere there is an owner with a left handed bolt wondering the same thing.

I have been wondering the same thing.

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an observation, I did take delivery on a LH MRC action that had a RH extractor on it. They did replace it post haste though.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Have you contacted the person you bought it off?

It could they have mixed up the parts off another rifle??

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you contacted the person you bought it off?

It could they have mixed up the parts off another rifle??

I did contact him. It was his safe queen. He had never tested it of fooled with it.

He offered to cover the cost of replacement, but I declined as I had planned to upgrade it anyway.

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Just an observation, I did take delivery on a LH MRC action that had a RH extractor on it. They did replace it post haste though.

Jim

Yeah, but aren't manufacturers suppose to function test their guns prior to them leaving the showroom?

I had a S&W 686 come into the shop one day. Well, I've had many, but this particular one comes to mind. Anyway, the customer hands me the gun and askes me to look and see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary "'cause it doesn't shoot worth a shit".

I open the cylinder and glance down the bore and offer to buy it from him. A smile crept across his face as he said, "yeah, that's what I thought". First time I had ever seen a gun come from the factory without riflings. She was as smooth as a baby's ass. Somewhere, someone pays good money for this type of factory screw up. I would like to see his collection. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons the retards at Winchester are unemployed.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

Jim

Yeah, but aren't manufacturers suppose to function test their guns prior to them leaving the showroom?

I had a S&W 686 come into the shop one day. Well, I've had many, but this particular one comes to mind. Anyway, the customer hands me the gun and askes me to look and see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary "'cause it doesn't shoot worth a shit".

I open the cylinder and glance down the bore and offer to buy it from him. A smile crept across his face as he said, "yeah, that's what I thought". First time I had ever seen a gun come from the factory without riflings. She was as smooth as a baby's ass. Somewhere, someone pays good money for this type of factory screw up. I would like to see his collection. Big Grin

VarmintGuy bought a S&W 17HMR revolver without rifling also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote