New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Replacement trigger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First off, I'm not panicked over the "unsafe" Remington trigger, I don't see a real problem with the factory one. I'm not interested in getting into that argument!

What I am interested in doing is finishing a project I've started, that I'm quite happy with so far. I'm building an Alaska type rifle, on a Remington 700 action. I traded out factory takeoff barrels until I had one that was absolutely dependable; it doesn't walk when it gets hot, had decent accuracy. I set it back and rechambered it to clean up the sloppy factory chamber. Then, fiberglass filled and pillar bedded a tupperware stock, and duracoated it with a grip finish clearcoat.

Final step in the process is to fit a model 70 type safety to the action. What I wanted to do is change out the factory trigger to a more dependable one that is less sensitive to moisture and dirt. Of course, this needs done before fitting the safety.

What trigger would be best in this type of use? The one that looks the best is the Jard. However, reading up on them they appear to be an absolute nightmare in quality. Timneys don't seem to be more dependable, and Jewels seem to be a bit fussy about dirt for the use. Nothing wrong with the Remington one, it's an older adjustable one and works fine, but it is susceptible to ice and dirt.

Any thoughts?

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Without A doubt Shilen Standard.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Shilen. I have a few Jewells on hunting rifles, but prefer the Shilens.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Shilen.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jewell is the best in terms of precision shooting. It is pricey, and probably overkill on a hunting rifle. Nice, though. 3# feels like 10 oz.

Caution: Check the stock coating to see if it goes into solution with bug repellent. Don't ask me how I know that.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll be the odd ball and give Rifle Basix a nod. Every one that I've handled has been an excellent trigger.

I doubt you could go wrong with any of the brands suggested.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:

What I wanted to do is change out the factory trigger to a more dependable one that is less sensitive to moisture and dirt.

Nothing wrong with the Remington one, it's an older adjustable one and works fine, but it is susceptible to ice and dirt.

Any "enclosed" trigger will be susceptible to ice and dirt. Regardless of which trigger you choose, routine maintenance will be necessary to keeping these designs running. When properly maintained, there is nothing wrong with the factory trigger, but as far as which trigger to replace it with, look for something simple, something you can get into and clean, and then do it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I like the Shilen.

Agree....

MK160

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I installed a Shilen on mine and I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
When properly maintained, there is nothing wrong with the factory trigger, but as far as which trigger to replace it with, look for something simple, something you can get into and clean, and then do it.

You've exactly expressed my feeling. That's why I originally looked at the Jard, then I saw it had to go into the original remington housing. What I would really like is an open unit that can be cleaned easily. Mauser and Model 70 come to mind. Apparently none are made for the 700.

The remington I have now is crisp, no creep, and decent pull. Question is will any of the others be more dependable, because they don't look easier to clean and inspect. For the purposes I need it for, no improvement in pull characteristics is needed, just dependability. Might just to order a Shilen on the belief that it will be better. They're not terribly expensive anyway.

The real problem here is this is the only Remington I have, and I keep trying to make it into a M70 or Mauser. Maybe should have started with something else. It was just a fun experiment anyway, so not real harm done.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put in a jewel and a 3 position safety. You will not regret it. It doesn't matter what you believe about the Remington trigger. Why take a chance? I changed mine as much because of it being much more adjustable and the lack of creep as the other issue. Replacing the two gives a much better product IMHO on all counts.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I agree with you, just wish there were a more open trigger to use. I have a Jewel on my 40x, it is great. I just don't think they make a good hunting trigger for this type of rifle under the conditions I could see it used. On a target gun, you're absolutely right.

Probably will try the Shilen.

dave