New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 84 ....rebarrel to???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently picked up an original Kimber 84 in .223 Rem. I am thinking about rebarreling this to something more appropriate to use for deer hunting for my youngest son. My thoughts are something along the lines of the 7mm TCU or similar. Any other suggestions? I have shot deer with the .223 before, but I'm much more comfortable with a slightly bigger bore.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm-08???

I've got a couple of buds that shoot pretty impressively at the range with these.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you are pretty much limited to the .223 family-no way can you get a 7-08 in one. They made a few in .250 Savage. I was going to make one, but when I got to looking at it, I relaized you would literally have to gut the action to get it in. It would be about like putting a .505 Gobbs in a standard M98. I stuck with a .223 when I rebarreld the action and made a stock from the balnk for it.

I would go with a 6x47 in the original M84 if you want a deer round in that action. Not sure what kind of velocity you would get with the 7TCU, but I am sure it would work for small deer at moderate ranges.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know if 7-08 would fit, Mark is much more knowledgeable than I in that regard, just thought it might work with a rebarrel.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the original 84's were a lot smaller than the current 8400. they are great little actions, just not enough there for a .308 family round. The only thing I don't like about mine is the 2 position rocker safety. I saw a handful with M70 safties and would have really liked one of those. Back in those days Kimber was making incredibly small runs of guns with weird options. If you tried to have a representative of evry option, you would need quite a large gun room.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I read about a wildcat round based on the .223 case that was using progressivly bigger bullets. I was interested in the .25 cal but he seemed to like the .264 version quite a bit. I think he even went as big as .277 but wasn't able to get enough out of it. The .257 was close to the .250 savage and the .264 was falling away from it's bigger brothers quite a bit it seemed to me. But I may be partial to the .257 dia. Wink Unfortunatly I don't remember where I was reading about it though.

Would you consider selling it off/ trade/ partial trade, then going to a bigger action? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the 6.5 Grendel? I don`t know for sure it will fit your action but it is smaller in head diameter, .445 vs .473, then std 308/06 based cartridges.

http://www.65grendel.com/

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
the original 84's were a lot smaller than the current 8400. they are great little actions, just not enough there for a .308 family round.

Is there a difference between the early 84's and the current 84's in dimensions? I have a current 84 in 308 and they offer them in the whole series of the 308 family case. The 8400 is a different animal altogether than the 84 and was designed around the WSM family, not the 308 family. Now they also offer the 8400 long action for the 30/06 family and the 300 and 338 WM's.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not the 6.5 TCU? Great bullet selection and should be good for what you want.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1 Tanker,
Greetings from Ft Huachuca. The original 84 is pretty much maxed out at .223 size cartridges, so it has to be near that size.

Rob

Posts: 51 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
in regards to the early vs. current M84's, yes, the old ones were micro actions where the new ones are short actions. The old were designed for the .223 family and the current M84 is for the .308 family.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Check out the 6.5 Grendel. I'm seriously impressed. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6x45, 25 Copperhead, or 300 Whisper come to mind. Sounds like a fun project. Keep us posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a URL for a 6mm Kimber barrel threaded and ready to go. It looks like the same contour that is on my Kimber of Oregon 6PPC single shot, so I would expect that it's a 1/14 twist.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-6MM-Rifle-Barrel-Kimber-o...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote