Find
Notify
Tools

Action Length for 6.5-08AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ammo_Dog
posted
Does anyone have any recommendations when choosing either a short or long action when building a 6.5-08AI? I've been going back and forth on this for quite a while. I can't seem to find too much info on COL for this cartridge. I am wanting to shoot 140 VLD's if that helps any. I also would like to add that short throating is not something I want to do.

Thanks guys,
Sam

If at first you don't succeed...RELOAD!

Posts: 44 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think around 2.850 should take care of you in COL.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to build on a long action, then why handicap yourself with a short action cartridge? You could build a 6.5-06 and get more velocity, or similar speeds with less pressure.

Given a long action, you could also do a 6.5-284 with VLDs.

I've never seen the sense in building a short action chambering on a long action rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Ammo_Dog
posted Hide Post
CAS,

I have not settled on what action length I am going to use. I have however settled on the cartridge I want to use.

Yes you are correct I could get more velocity from the '06 case. In my opinion the gain in FPS is not as important as barrel life and overall cartridge efficiency. I don't plan on racing the 6.5-08AI.

My main concern is whether or not I will be able to seat the 140 VLD's our far enough without being stopped by a short magazine or unreliable functioning.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For my $ I would simply build a 260. To me an AI on the 308 or 243 case never made much sense and I tested several. Load it to 65000 like a 6mm case and go shoot. I you are going with the AI why call it a 6.5-08AI vs a simple 260AI? Just curious. Big Grin No need for a long action for the 308 case. Matter of fact it will probably feed better from the short anyway.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammo_Dog
posted Hide Post
ramrod,

6.5-08AI vs. .260AI...six of one vs. half a dozen of the other. I don't know, I guess that .260AI is easier to type.

The good reasons for the AI may be few, but the real reason I want one is just to be a little different.

Sam

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the real reason I want one is just to be a little different.

Probably the best reason. Wink That is why I built my line of PDKs. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You might do well yo take a serious look at the 6.5x284. A really outstanding cartridge in all respects.

6.5x284

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the long action. This is probably one of the few 6.5s I don't have. I do have the standard 260 and 6.5-284. I say long action because if you don't like it you may have a few more options for re-barrel later.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also say long action, the 6.5mm bullets once you start looking at 140's you be happy to have the magazine space. That's why I went with a long action on my 257 Roberts build.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote