Find
Notify
Tools

Who can broach an action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I was asked by a gunbuilder friend who is out there who can broach an action for him. He used to use Wells years ago to broach the action then he would take care of the rest of the milling. He claims it is much easier to start with a broached chunk of metal compared to having to either cut down, lengthen an action, and especially when it comes to doing double square bridges.

If there is anyone out there does this I would really appreciate some contact info so I can pass it to my friend.

Thanks.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose you could call the folks at Granite Mountain Arms..they are polite..probably won;t hang up on you...right away...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Are there any machine shops out there who can handle that type of broaching?

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Wire EDM would be better and cheeper

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wire EDM would be my preferred method, but you might consider finding a shop that has a shaper of appropriate stroke length. The shaper wouldn't require any special tooling and would be able to knock it out pretty quickly.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a shaper anymore, but I still have the broach. I don't remember the size, but it was used to broach the Benchmaster Target receivers several years ago.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the input and ideas. But I am still looking for a shop who can do the work. Any contact suggestions?

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Pierce EDMs his raceways for both his and other manufacturers. This is John's website. Tell him I said for you to call him. www.pierceengineeringltd.com/products.php
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I talked to Fred Wells many years ago on this same subject. He said that he did not broach the lugways but, used a hook cutter similar to a rifling cutter. He held the receiver (to be) in the the lathe chuck and attached the hook cutter to the compund and pulled it through until he reached the desired depth. He then rotated it 180 deg. and did the other side.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On benchrest.com you can buy the action blanks with the bolt race ways pre cut.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote