New
Find
Notify
Tools

Persian Mauser Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't run across any VZ 24's lately. Would a Persian Mauser be appropriate for making into a 8x68S?

The cartridge OAL is 3.425". Are there some major gyrations involved in working over the magazine box?

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Just make sure its a standard length action. All the Persians I've read about were intermediate length actions and therefore unsuitable for the 8x68s. But I don't speak the gospel here either.

One thing for sure about the persians though is that as a rule, they are very well finished actions and have seen little action.

If you need a standard action, look for a Yugo action (24/52?)...these were VZ's before the Yugos got a hold to them.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The persians were cousins of the Czech 98/22. Sometimes they are called the 98/29. I am building an 8x68S on a 98/22.

Most major concern about the box is making it of the appropriate dimensions without getting the front too thin. It will deform due to recoil and the rounds hitting the front wall. you need a fairly stout wall. Let that guide you.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Too bad there isn't a mail order place called "Mauser Mag Boxes 'R Us".

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LD

It may be worth a try to contact Recknagle as they do make mag boxes for many of the Euro-metric calibers.

Recknagel

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks David,

Splendid idea. My oldest boy is in Bavaria as we speak. He owes me a favor for taking care of some stuff above and beyond the call of god-father regulations.

Thanks again,

LD