Find
Notify
Tools

Making two piece stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Can anyone offer some pointers or references for learning how to make a stock from a blank for a Ruger #1?

What about Brownells Gunsmith kinks? Is that a worthwhile investment?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr,
The first thing you have to do is to line up and drill the hole on the blank for the through bolt. If it were me, I would send it off to someone who does those stocks often like Mark Stratton and have him drill the hole for you. You can drill them on a metal lathe but you have to know what you are doing. You will not do it with hand drills or a drill press. Once that hole is cut, you can slide the blank on the bolt and start inletting so it will slide on the rear tang. Get that inletted and then you can start to shape the stock, using the barrel centerline as a starting datum line. Then you just cut away everything that does not look like a gun stock. Wink

I have one I am doing right now but it is beyone that stage.

Oops, forgot the Kinks. Yes the gunsmith kinks are good books. They are a collection of suggestions from gunsmiths all over the world that show up in the Brownells Newsletter. Look for them on eBay.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Wstrnhuntr,
The first thing you have to do is to line up and drill the hole on the blank for the through bolt. If it were me, I would send it off to someone who does those stocks often like Mark Stratton and have him drill the hole for you. You can drill them on a metal lathe but you have to know what you are doing. You will not do it with hand drills or a drill press. Once that hole is cut, you can slide the blank on the bolt and start inletting so it will slide on the rear tang. Get that inletted and then you can start to shape the stock, using the barrel centerline as a starting datum line. Then you just cut away everything that does not look like a gun stock. Wink

I have one I am doing right now but it is beyone that stage.

Oops, forgot the Kinks. Yes the gunsmith kinks are good books. They are a collection of suggestions from gunsmiths all over the world that show up in the Brownells Newsletter. Look for them on eBay.

Thanks Chic,

So I need the hole and then just use a bolt like action pins are normaly employed. That will get me off on the right foot.

By the way, my rust blueing has vastly improved of late. Thought you might like to know. If it werent for you and a few other ARF members I wouldnt even know what rust blueing is. Many thanks. Wink

Do you happen to have a way to contact Mark?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can reach him at 425 745 8309. Glad the rust bluing is going well. It is amazing how good that can look when done. Even more amazing how well it holds up.

Take care

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, you might send it to a carver like TREEBONE. Just like these coustom stockers do and save a lot of trouble and time. Or Crossno, Lots of them out there! And yes you can drill a buttstock with a drill press, It's a simple setup. The trouble starts when you go to buy the bit to cut the hole. P.S. You do need a floor mount drill press to do the job. Or if you know someone that has a Shopsmith these work really well for the job.

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a hollow tailstock center work on a lathe? Thats the direction inwhich I am headed. Folks that make lamps use these on a wood lathe and they can be had at the local WoodCraft stores in a few different MT & bore sizes. I always wondered why folks try to do this on a drill press... if you spin the wood (slowly!) you control the boring axis.

My other gunsmith buddy cut a V-notch in a long piece of wood and clamps this on his work bench aligned with the stock blank. With a long drill (avail at HF) he "shoots" the hole in this manner for his Sav 99 buttstocks. He says this works great for him.

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I am a few weeks off from staring a Savage 99, I was thinking about how I was going to drill the stock for the through bolt, after reading your comments I have to rethink this some. I was planning on doing it with a drill press using an old stock a my gunsmith buddy has to get the angle and dia etc. I havent done a two piece before, boyds lam for 40 bucks is sounding pretty good Smiler, and I hate plywood to boot.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a boring page on the WoodCraft site showing such an operation using a lamp auger and hollow tailstock. The hollow centers in 3/8" or 5/16", MT1 or MT2 are only $10.
Tailstock boring

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFD:
Or, you might send it to a carver like TREEBONE.

George at Treebone has made a few stocks for me and I can highly reccomend his work. In fact I just sent him 2 super nice American Black Walnut blanks to have him turn me some stocks for mine and my Dads Win 9422's. I have seen some of his #1 stocks and you will be very happy with his quality of wood and work.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote