New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 770 triggerguard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a 700 TG be used on a 770? Friend has a 770 he wants to fit with a wood stock, but the TG on the 770 is integral to to synthetic stock.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be a good friend and tell your friend to pedal the 770, and buy a 700. You'll feel better, and so will he.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not practical to try and put it in a wood stock. The TG is the least of your worries. Have to consider how to allow the magazine to attach. A poly insert would need to be fashioned that would duplicate the factory. You could use a Rem 700 ADL TG. My advice is to sell it and get a Mossberg Patriot with a walnut stock.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what he is thinking of using: TG & magazine

There are personal reasons I won't go into as to why he wants to use this barreled action. I am concerned mainly with two things, action screw spacing and matching up any "feedlips" to ensure basic feeding function.. I think that together we can overcome the rest.

I think... of course I don't know what I don't know, which is why I am here asking. Wink

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, talk him gently away from the edge; explain it is never wise to throw good money after bad.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It likely won't match. The 770 has a totally different hole spacing than a 700. 770's have a bedded barrel and a free floated "action". There are two main action screws that thread into the chamber boss. The third rear screw just ties down the tang extension that contains the trigger group. Not really a conventional action but a tubular bolt guideway and scope mount. I guess you could use the plastic stock as a pattern and have a wood stock turned from it. Then fit the mag release. The bedding screws woul likely need to be pillar bedded. Recoil lug epoxy bedded.

quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
This is what he is thinking of using: TG & magazine

There are personal reasons I won't go into as to why he wants to use this barreled action. I am concerned mainly with two things, action screw spacing and matching up any "feedlips" to ensure basic feeding function.. I think that together we can overcome the rest.

I think... of course I don't know what I don't know, which is why I am here asking. Wink

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I believe historically this is called "trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear." I'm in the sell it and buy a 700 group.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Friends don't let friends throw away $$$. He won't get what he wants with a 770. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I believe historically this is called "trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear." I'm in the sell it and buy a 700 group.

More like trying to make ice cream out'a shit.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks for all the opinions. Time for a little more detail... This is not his rifle, it belonged to his cousin. His cousin met a very untimely and tragic end, and now his cousin's sister (who inherited the rifle) would like to use it for hunting. She is petite, about 5'2", and the LOP is too long for her. I helped him with a Mauser project last year, his cousin saw the results, and now she has asked him for his help.

He is not trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, he just wants to make it functional for her.

I know this it not Grandpa's old Springfield or Mauser from the 1940s. I know that the 770 is a Walmart starter rifle, and I know there is always an option to sell it and buy something else. But, this rifle has some sentimental value for this family, and I am just trying to help a friend. I haven't met her, but I get the idea that she doesn't want a new 700... she wants to use her late brother's rifle.

I had seen the 770 from a distance before, but never handled one until this afternoon when he brought it over. With all due respect, (because I sent him a link to this thread), I was not impressed... Injection molded, mass produced plastic crap. So, I'm kinda with y'all, but I need to support my friend because I think he is determined to give it his best shot for his cousin.

My advice after taking the thing apart was to sacrifice the stock; i.e. cut away all plastic that doesn't look like a magazine well, and epoxy bed this into wood. I would also ditch the fugly plastic triggerguard and fabricate or adapt a metal one somehow. But, I don't think he wants to do this. I found a thread on line where a guy had tried to mill a 770 mag well into the wood, but gave up.

Yep, Scott, if you are reading this, you have your work cut out for you! But I'm standing by to help...

So, any other suggestions to help make this work would be appreciated, but please don't just denigrate the idea out of hand. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like if he wants to make it "functional" for her all he really needs to do is shorten the LOP. I've seen more than a few ugly rifles, and a lot of them shot quite well.

Or, he/you might look into one of these:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com...4C&Shape=04&Finish=1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We did consider trying to shorten the existing stock, but it seems hollow, and I'm not sure what the existing recoil pad attaches to on the inside. Also, the cheekpiece would be chopped short if we did that. Ironically this is already a youth rifle... short LOP to begin with, but apparently still too long for her. (its a 243)

I think an aftermarket stock like this would probably give him the best chance of success. Provided his cousin will spring for it... Thanks for the link.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If I had to use it stick a Boyd on it and be done with it.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/...4D&Shape=04&Finish=1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote