New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther pre-chambered M98 barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will shortly be in receipt of a FN commercial Mauser in 7x57. Barrel is probably not salvagable and in any case I fancy a change to 9.3 x 62...

Now, do any of you have experience of the pre-fit walther barrels?

Will they fit the FN ok? Have they turned in reasonable accuracy?

My smith will be doing the work so facing off to achieve proper headspace will be no problem. Any other work required on yours?

Will I be able to salvage the current irons on the 7x57 or will I have to get some new ones?

Recknagel?

Thanks in anticipation.

G

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here are two test groups that I shot at 100 yds with my 9.3x62 on a FN400/Supreme action. Havn't tried other powders yet. Don't know that i really need too. The barrel is a artical 722 lothar Walther barrel.
These barrels come threaded & chambered. Just needs headspacing to your action. EXCELLENT barrels.tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will second Doug's comments. I bought a Walther pre chambered and threaded barrel in 9.3x62 for a 98 Mauser. I installed it on an FN Action. Only had to "face off" .015 from the long chambered barrel to get the proper headspace. Mine shoots pretty much like Doug's.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the one I had put on a VZ24 was a 9.3x62 as well and its a shooter. I'd like to soon set store with an extra in a .284 bore for a down the road project. Good barrels.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Looks like it's a goer then.

Now, I have zero experience of fitting (or indeed shooting) iron sights. Having had a look around it seems like some new Recknagel items will be the way to go. The one on the 9.3 version of the sako 85 look 'right' and they are Recknagel.

Any advice?

Thanks

G

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that they are not the short chambered barrels that just screw right in and then you finish the chamber with the proper chamber reamer and gauge. They are long chambered as the one poster said and require lathe work.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I ordered one long chambered in 318 Ex. and waited 4 mo. to get it. The whole idea for long chamber is to avoid buying a one off chambering reamer that would not be used again. When it arrived, it was short chambered! Make sure they understand what you want and check it on delivery! Other than that one experience, have been impressed with their quality/product.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote