THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can Ruger MK11 long actions make a nice custom rifle??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Ruger MK11 long actions make a nice custom rifle??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanting to know do people bother rebarrelling there Ruger MK 11 rifles ??, can they be used as the basis for attaching a nice custom barrel and better stock and do they finish up a nice custom rifle ?? Just interested to know.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
They're about as good as any currently manufactured non-Mauser, and better than a lot!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an RBZ (the laminated stainless) that wasn't much of a shooter with its factory barrel, but which looked good.

A nice new Maddco barrel (which was chosen because it was the widest that would fit the stock), and I now have a shooter, that still looks good.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting to know, so all in all it has turned into good shooter. Just that I do not hear of many people making rifles on Ruger actions other than the Ruger #1's

one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean the 338 Win Mag length action, as others above seem to assume.

It made an ultimate 416 Taylor for me. Sweet!

The Mark II Magnum action for 375 H&H through 416 Rigby would require a lot of work to rebarrel, but some rebores to such as 470 Mbogo or 505 Gibbs are interesting, and preserve the quarter rib and clap-trap recoil plate on the barrel. It would be nice to turn the recoil plate attachment into a real barrel lug and install a Tubb-style recoil lug on the action, which lacks totally any recoil lug as it come from the factory. [Eek!] This setup seems to work well until the stock splits.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
I was told by my gunsmith that the diagonal front-screw bedding system is harder to work with when restocking with a non-ruger made stock. However my MKII standard action made for a lovely 7x57 in a McMillin stock.

posted Hide Post
The bedding is a little tricky but they make fine custom hunting rifles. Go for it...

Posts: 21 | Location: Mt.Cheaha | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I am considering is the building of a 6.5x55 swdish on a Ruger MK 11 and then wack it in a houghe overmould stock. Either this or I will go the CZ route, this will happen in the next twelve months.

What action length would be the one to purchase ?? I assume it would be better done on a 30/06 length action ??

Thanks for the reply's so far

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that you can buy a 6.5 X 55 in A Ruger Mk II from the factory. If you still want to build one, go with the -06 length action. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

In Australia they do not list it as standard, I suppose I can ask for them to order one. Would a 30/06 MK 11 work or would they rails be opened up to much already ??.

I measured the case head size last night and the 6.5x55 is slighlty larger but only by a tiny bit over the 30/06 so the bolt face would not need opening up to much.

I am off loading my 30/30 winchester and intend to replace it with bolt gun in 6.5x55. I will mount a 4-12 VX 1 leupold on it and it will become my all round rifle (to complement my old M38 swede). I feel that the old 30/30 no longer fits into my needs.

From the factory a cz will outshoot a Ruger I reckon. I have not seen a poor shooting CZ Yet (does not meen it will not happen).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Over here it is a semi-standard item. I think that means that every once in awhile they run off a bunch of them. The -06 action should work OK, the rails might need a little work, but very little if at all. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
PC- Here is my recipe for a great shooting 6.5x55. Start with a good M-96 action. Rebarrel with a douglas barrel. Use a JGS reamer with a short throat! Use a Dayton Traister cock on open kit and stock with a cheap Bell and Carlson stock. I built one of these for my son a bout 5 years ago and it still shoots .25 inch groups at 100 yrds.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob would my M38 swede 1942 6.5x55 be a good action ??