New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Liner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Haven't done any in over 30 years, but wondered if the wicking grade loc tite would be a consideration....or...?

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane
I use Locite 640 sleeve retainer and have never had one come loose. You do have to work fast as it does not give you a whole lot of time. Other wise good ole Acraglas

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t really think wick in would be suitable.
620 retaining compound is great stuff, high strength, high temp and slow fixture time.
Like 1 hour compared to the other retainers which are 10-15 minutes.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First Question

Rim-fire ?
Or Center-fire ?

I use Loctite 271 on both, BUT the method of installing the type of liners are different

Rim-fire liners are a slip fit

Center-fire liners have a larger threaded section on the breech so they screw into place

Both I DO NOT drill all the way out the end of the muzzle, and then fit the liner end to match up with the drill angle at the muzzle to hide the joint

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25-35 94 Win Metal...620 soundsd GOOD....Jim..the idea of the muzzle treatment makes sense,,,Thanks to all...At any rate, should be easier than the old soldering technique.

The liner is .498 and is not threaded at breech but liner tapers to .499 at breech end...plan was to finish ream to .500 Sound OK?

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about reaming, will leave a smooth finish in the hole. When using an adhesive, I like to have some "bite" for secure adhesion.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thought!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been awhile since I installed a liner, but the last was a .22 rimfire. OD of the liner was 5/16, drilled with 8mm (.315). I could still feel a bit of interference when dry fitting. I'd drill it. If I needed more confidence, I'd drill a 1/2" hole in 6"L of cold drawn and see how the liner felt in that before proceeding. Or, maybe drill an old piece of .25 cal. barrel if I had something laying around. (added) I didn't use Brownells drills, I bought quality 8mm bits and added my own extension(s). Used no 'pilot', new drill bits and drilled in the lathe.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like slivers, I've done .22 rf with 8mm. In addition to not quite exiting barrel, I peen the end of barrel metal lightly to displace the metal tightly into the joint after the liner is set in place. Crowning cleans it up, and the tight joint is invisible, particularly if you use crown to further hide the joint.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loctite requires some gap, and can get pretty darn scientific if you really want to get into the weeds. I don't have the bottle in front of me, but 720 seems to come to mind? Green, and pretty sure it is sleeve retainer.

The notion that you want a "rough" surface is incorrect from what I have been told. It adheres better to a smooth surface.

For some reason .003" comes to mind, regarding the clearance you want between the two parts. .498 and .500 should work fine though. On precision fits, I tend to try and leave something to mechanically locate, with the remainder being clearance for the adhesive.

I can tell you from experience that with the correct fit, you will have to machine the corresponding parts off. A shop I used to work at used it for industrial shafting for one of the local plants, and a few times a year I had to turn the worn out parts off, fit and loctite new ones.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
638 works mighty fine for 22 rimfires, 38 specials, and 38-55's.
Ran an Okie test on a 4" chunk cut off a Krieger, and a 5" Redmans cut off piece. Drilled, reamed, and cleaned the barrel, cleaned the liner, and stuck it together with 638 leaving 1" stick out. Next day put the thing in a press and the stickout piece mushroomed and finally bent over. The part in the barrel did not budge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...I've certainly gained a lot from this thread,,Hppe others did too

This 1913 25-35 saddle ring carbine has been enjoyed...REALLY enjoyed. Plan was to restore, but hesitant to wipe out what lookes like a rich history.

Barrel? Just can't live with that bore! Looks like the owner bought it new, used it a lifetime and never cleaned the barrel.

Two grandsons already want it

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
Duane
I use Locite 640 sleeve retainer and have never had one come loose. You do have to work fast as it does not give you a whole lot of time. Other wise good ole Acraglas

How fast is fast 5 minutes, 30 minutes?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4259 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was suggesting mechanical lock using Acra-Glass or one of the other 2 part epoxies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rolland:
Duane

How fast is fast 5 minutes, 30 minutes?[/QU
I don't have the bottle in front of me but as I recall 30 minutes, might check the sheet on it posted on the product web site.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....liner installed...I followed the advice of Jim Wisner on the procedure: Soldered a threaded sleeve on the liner, and went with 721 Loc tite.

The sleeve was threaded 9/16 x 28. Tolerances are a bit tight on the 94 barrel...but all turned out well. Muzzle joint is invisible using Jim's technique.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Well....liner installed...I followed the advice of Jim Wisner on the procedure: Soldered a threaded sleeve on the liner, and went with 721 Loc tite.

The sleeve was threaded 9/16 x 28. Tolerances are a bit tight on the 94 barrel...but all turned out well. Muzzle joint is invisible using Jim's technique.

Where/who has threaded liners?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know IF such is available..I made mine from a segment of old barrel.