THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Savr Custom Oil - TC1, help please...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

Have started finishing a stock with this in Satin - like the results so far. As each coat dries, the stock has a nice luster, and in the sunlight, the grain appears very deep.

In some areas the grain is pretty much filled after 4 applications. In other areas where the grain is different (stock is unfortunately more or less slab sawn - a factory CZ 550) it is not filled in yet. I did not fill the grain - the stock was stained with combo of Pilkingtons English Red and R. Gale Lock Black Walnut to give a deep brown with reddish tones, and I could not think of any way to seal it without muddying the color or grain. I did put a thinned coat of catalyzed linseed finish mixed with a bit of fine walnut and ebony dust / powder to give the pores a dark tint.

Question: how many coats should I use, and will it matter re: weatherproofing is you can still see dimples of the grain? I can take pics and e-mail if it would help...

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That stuff is thick. Two coats should have it weather proofed very well. I would have told you to fill the pours before hand but I've done it both ways. When I didn't fill in the pours if memory serves me right I put on about 4 or 5 coats then waited a day or two and VERY carefully wet sanded with 400gr and water. This smoothed out the dimples from the pours. After that 2 extra coats went on. Keep in mind that stuff will dry in about an hour or two but it takes about a month for the stuff to cure.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is the one I did without filling the pours first. It's been checkered since the photo. It's had 5 years of banging and beating on it and the finish seems to be holding up very well.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry. I will let it dry a couple of days, then try that. I am not sure how much I can get away with, especially on edges, before I start getting light streaks from cutting into the stain. I guess I could always spot touch the stain to match if that happens.

That is a very nice looking rifle. I am glad you mentioned this stuff in one of your posts- it is simple, looks nice, and by yours and every else's report, very weatherproof.

Best,
Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
This is VERY important. DO NOT break the finish on that stock! If you sand into the stain you will probably never get it to match back up. Just a little light sanding will do wonders for evening up the finish. I'll say it one more time Big Grin Just a very light sanding is all you need.

Terry