Find
Notify
Tools

Who's sythetic stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I'm working on a rifle that needs a new stock. Fellow who owns it has me converting it from .458 WM to .458 Lott. His original stock was cracked badly and rather than putting money into it I talked him into buying a new stock. He insists he needs a very light stock and has asked me to use an MPI. I've never used one and through searches here have found very mixed reviews which make me think I should convince him to use something else. My first choice was McMillan but he doesn't want to spend that much money. So, my quesion is: who else makes a strong but relatively inexpensive synthetic stock appropriate for the .458 Lott, or should I just order the MPI? Thanks for your ideas.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO what you state is an oxymoron: Ain't no such thing as a "strong but relatively inexpensive" stock. Go with a McMillan.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The MPI is a very well-made stock. Getting one in a reasonable period of time may be an issue for some actions at some times, but the product itself is a good one.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
IMHO what you state is an oxymoron: Ain't no such thing as a "strong but relatively inexpensive" stock.

Fact is, Ramline is one such stock. Granted it isn't as "fine", or, as "quiet" a stock as McMillian, but coming in at about a fourth the cost of the McMillian, it will withstand every bit the abuse the McMillian will. In fact, if it breaks, they will replace it. A "low bucks" friend of mine has two rifles sporting these stocks, one, a 375 H&H Improved, and the other, a 450 Ackley Mag. These guns are not parade quality, they get the crap beat out of them on a regular basis, but after some 15 plus years, they are still going strong.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Malm,

Perfect! I hadn't thought of that one. I don't think this fellow is going to mind if I save him $300. I just ordered one. Thanks.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Malm,

Perfect! I hadn't thought of that one. I don't think this fellow is going to mind if I save him $300. I just ordered one. Thanks.

It's been a while since I've pulled a recoil pad on one of these, but you might grab a can of foam insulation and if it hasn't already been done, squirt some in the butt end to deaden the sound.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Malm, I remember the first RamLine ads in the Gun Rags. They showed a RamLine laying on it's side on gravel with no action in it. And there was the left front tire of a Chevy truck directly atop the "empty" action mounting area.

After I first saw it, I figured it was a Hoodo of some sort. A couple of months passed and one of the articles in the Gun Rag was on Synthetic Stocks. Sure enough they replicated the ad and only had a slight scratch(from the gravel) to show for it.

Got two RamLines because of the above. Back then they came with some kind of Mickey Mouse HARD recoil pad that wasn't worth a clinton. Installed regular old Pachmayer pads(pre-Decelerator Era) and they did quite well.

Never even bothered to "bed" the Ruger M77s in them and they shot fine.
---

I might have had to do a small bit of stock grinding at the rear of one action, but that could be full of beans. Too long ago for that short term memory to be accurate.

Talk about taking abuse, I didn't park a truck on them, but they both had some "High Dives" that would have pleased the Olympic Judges to no end.

They were still as strong as ever when those rifles went to other folks who "had to have them".

If RamLine makes them as strong today as they did back then, it would take something really special to beat them in ruggedness.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
... wasn't worth a clinton.

Priceless! Never heard that before but I can not think of a better description of useless! lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://sst.benchrest.com/ http://www.midwayusa.com these are sources for information sst has a lot of stock info.I looked a synthetic camo stock at the SHOT show made by Wild Dog Australia Pty,LTD http://www.wilddogaustralia.com that utilizes the right side of the stock for a compartment to hold ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a few MPI stocks and find them a good stock. They have all been unfinished blanks and my comments are relative. The stocks are very light layed up fiberglass with foam cores, they require finishing and bedding.The inletting is moulded in and not as precise as McMillan's but the bedding takes care of any voids, they are labour intensive and make good projects for those that have the time to finish them. Once finished they are nice and the classic styles are very comfortable with nice open pistol grips and slim forends similar to the Brown Precision. If you want a drop in McMillan is the way to go but they are pricier and heavier, except for the Edge model which is very light but even more expensive.
bigbull

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Butler Creek on a Zastava 458WM that was fantastic ... except the narrow butt. It was put on to replace a split Ramline stock ... which to its credit was not a good fit and may have split for that reason. I think bedded properly, the original ramline may have been quite a good stock.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ram lines on 3 or 4 rifles I glass bed them as from the get go. I have seen one ramline break the butt was on a 8inch log the barrel was shoved into the dirt and a 260 lb man landed from full height right on the pistol grip side ways. Broke right in two.

I was kind of surprized he did not bend the barrel also. For the most part they do seem to take a beating.

They replaced it no questions asked.

Posts: 19442 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote