Find
Notify
Tools

Harre rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Here are a few photos sent to me by M98. Daniel will have to fill you in on the particulars of this rifle, all I know is that it is a Harre rifle and is a switch barrel takedown in 416 Hoffman and 7mm RUM.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... that is very nice!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I got the chance to meet Brian at SCI Reno last January. We talked about take down systems and he described his to me. He told me that instead of using square shoulders at the barrel receiver interface he employed the use of angles on both the barrel shoulder and receiver.
Brian said the repeatability of it was perfect and is a very accurate system. It all made sense to me. Additionally he's gaining more surface area as well when the barrel and receiver are put together because the barrel is locating on a hypotnuse instead of the usual 90 degree shoulder. Pretty cool idea, I thought.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. What kind of action is that?

Posts: 40 | Location: Brandon, SD | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that it is a Harre.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah common Honey I've got to have one .It's such a NICE RIFLE !.

Where will I get the money ?, well lets sell your car ,your bitching about how much gas is costing you anyway . Problem solved !. NO ?. Perhaps a part time night job will work out for you Hon !?. OUCH OUCH !.

I shall have to sell another couple of rifles !.

Not very understanding was she !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one of the best looking Dakota actioned rifles I have seen. Congratulations!!

Posts: 33 | Location: western oklahoma | Registered: 11 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one nice looking rifle. It looks like it has had a lot of attention to detail.
The only down side that I can see is the takedown latch. The latch should of been recessed to keep from catching on everything.

M98/Daniel, I would like to hear the details on this rifle. I would also like to see some more pictures of the bottom of forend and takedown mechanism if possible. Thanks

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I love the cross-bolt treatment

thumb

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TLS:
That's one of the best looking Dakota actioned rifles I have seen. Congratulations!!

It's NOT a Dakota. It's a Harre, made in New Zealand. As we all know, the Dakota is just an upgraded M70 With the boltstop that Pete Grisel designed. The Harre action has a similar boltstop . Some Harre actions also have integral square bridge scope mounts. Something that Dakota is lacking. I think that the takedown plate is also integral with the action. Lots of machine time!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have contact details of this artisan in New Zealand ??

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Posts: 59 | Location: DUBBO NSW AUSTRALIA | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The take-down system (without having seen it disassembled) looks very much like a copy of the system used by the higher class European gunmakers - e.g. Johannsen:

http://www.johannsen-jagd.de/johannsentakedown.html

These systems have the advantage of not having barrel threads that can wear or get damaged. On top of that, the best ones take down completely without the use of tools. Nice, but not cheap...

The Harre version seems to have used quite a bit more material in the take-down plates of the foreend. I wonder if they used aluminium instead of steel for this feature in an attempt to save weight??

Nice gun!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FORREST
thanks for posting this for me, much appreciated, i though this is such a nice rifle and so well built i felt it would be a pity if i was the only one that had to suffer looking at it...suffer with me!!
DETAILS
Rifle is built and made by Brian Harrie
Steel is prehardened before machining
reciver fully machined by CNC
integeral double square bridges
C ring in front reciver like M98
BOLT...fully machined by CNC ,bolt and handle are machined as one integeral unit
Magazine Box machined from pre hardened billet of steel
the front plate on the reciver is integeral with the reciver and doubles as an extra large recoil lug
Wood is New Zealand Walnut
inside the front ring the tapers and angles are like Stuart Satterlee explained, which aids in repeatability and centering of the barrel to the reciver
NO ITS NOT A DAKOTA ACTION !!!!
Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Any chance we could see some close up shots of the take down system?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TEX
i will try to touch base with HARRIEand see if he could send me a photo or two of what you requested
DANIEL

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is much better looking than Cindy!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote