THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Thanks to all about Lathe info, heres another question for the Pro's?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Thanks to all about Lathe info, heres another question for the Pro's?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received a flyer from Grizzly that lists their 16 X 40 with a 3 1/8 bore for $6,995 as a discontinued model. Their 14 X 40 is on sale for $3,995.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fiftydriver

If I where you i would go for a used lathe! Of course a new machine would be nice but you get a really good lathe if you go for a used one in good condition. The problem is to know if the lathe really is in good condition........ If you can get to the lathe and test it with a person that is used to run lathes the problem is solved.

I do some gunsmithing here in Sweden and I started out with a south bend. It was to small to be really usefull for gunsmithing so I bought a used Cholchester triumph 2000. I got it for 4500 US$ with all the equipment I will ever need. It�s a big 5000 lbs lathe but I love it! The spindle house is to big to be useful for putting barrels thru it for chambering thru the spindle. I have always used the steadyrest for chambering so it doesn�t bother me.

Here in Sweden it�s possible to buy a used 2500 lbs lathes with spindle holes of more than 1,5" and 1000 mm between centers for about 2-3000 US$. I don�t know about US but there should be possible to get used, good lathes there to!?

Stefan

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Precision is in the mind of the riflesmith. Given mikes and gages and a spindle that will work at 1/10000" it's up to him to produce "precision".

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote