Notify
Tools

Custom Integral Rear Peep Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted
Hey guys,
Here is a picture of a custom rear bridge with integral peep sight we are building for a client. The gun is a left handed 338-06. Thought you might like to see it.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That looks very well thought out. Simple with no springs, pop ups, folding etc. Well done, Karl.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
It looks quite nice to me.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COOL!!!
Neat design, and well executed.
I could live with that!!!
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl

Very nice looking setup.
Is the elevation set by the front sight or the height of the rear base? Do you have a picture without scope ring?

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears the peep is on a screw thread for elevation, or is it adjusted by filing the front sight to zero, either way it a dandy, I like it...I have done that myself on a big bore double or single square bridge, but didn't have the scope option. Another option is to dovetail the square bridges to talleys and use the talley slip on peep, but this one you have cannot be lost, I like that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The elevation is adjusted by the aperture. The stem threaded, and has a locking screw. So to adjust height you rotate the aperture. Here is a picture without the scope rings.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Karl,
before installing a tapered base block,
did you consider making the integral bridge higher and machine it back to shape? Would you consider doing it that way if a client asked?
Just a thought. Nice work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl

Thank you for your reply with photo.
It is self explanatory when seen like that.

Both photos appear to be port side of receiver.
First photo does not have lock screw.

James

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack

Karl can answer this better but I assume the dovetail is for windage adjustment.

James

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
That is nice. I would like to see a sight like that on the Ruger#1. It would blend with the lines on that, or any rifle.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If everyone understood ghost ring and or peep sights something elegant like that would come on factory rifles instead of the plastic / folding / abominations we now get.

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Karl,

Very nicely done. Clean, simple, and looks very strong. Ghost ring sights are my favorite type of irons.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It is an attractive set-up. One question, why is there a hole in the top of the ghost ring (first pic)?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The hole in the top of the sight is for access to the windage lock screw. I took an Ashley aperture and drilled and tapped the center of it. After the elevation is adjusted and locked, the windage can be locked by reaching through the top of the aperture with an allen wrench.

Woodjack, draw it up as you would like it and send me the drawing with your deposit check!

Gregory A. Hein
www.rifleactions.com

Posts: 20 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:

Both photos appear to be port side of receiver.
First photo does not have lock screw.

James

The pictures were taken at different times, the peep sight had been removed and simply put in flipped 180 degrees.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com