THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 trigger adjustment (**PROBLEM**)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
What is the best resource for information on adjusting a Model 70 (New Haven) trigger? I do not have a user manual for this gun.

EDIT: Okay, here is the problem....

I thought I had the adjustment figured out. I have it breaking at 4 lbs (which is quite a bit heavier than I would like). When I put the action back into the stock and hit the butt on the floor, the hammer fires EVERY TIME!!

I've never experienced this problem before. I have numerous rifles with 1.5 to 2.5 lb triggers and you can bang them on the floor all day long without the hammer dropping.

What the hell is going on?!?!?! I want this gun to break at 2.5 lbs if at all possible...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm at work and don't have my stuff but if you do a search(web and this forum) you will find several different write-ups and illustrations. It seems to me there was a very well done one on Snipers Hide a few years ago that I saved but it certainly isn't the only one available.

link to thread

snipercountry link

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming your talking about the original M-70 trigger, the book "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank DeHaas has very good information about adjusting the trigger.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Okay, here is the problem....

I thought I had the adjustment figured out. I have it breaking at 4 lbs (which is quite a bit heavier than I would like). When I put the action back into the stock and hit the butt on the floor, the hammer fires EVERY TIME!!

I've never experienced this problem before. I have numerous rifles with 1.5 to 2.5 lb triggers and you can bang them on the floor all day long without the hammer dropping.

What the hell is going on?!?!?! I want this gun to break at 2.5 lbs if at all possible...

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You are not going to be able to safely adjust the stock M70 trigger to 2 1/2 lbs without some modification. This is a job best left to the experts.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Sear engagement may be to minimal, but it could also be the spring isn't keeping enough tension.
I would recommend doing some polishing to the contact surfaces, but also to the pivot points. Break the edge of the sear just a bit. Then set the pull weight.
Polishing will make it feel better than just a low pull weight. During installation be sure the torques on the screws aren't causeing some binding & misalignment somehow. Sometimes it's trial & error to get it just right.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There may be some contact between the trigger ad stock or trigger guard, Check that out first. When I do a trigger job on a M70, I discard the OEM spring; way too coarse. I replace it with a longer and more tender one along with some judicial touch-ups.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
So is it unreasonable to expect a trigger pull of less than 4 lbs. without the "bump test" causing the hammer to drop?

That just doesn't sound correct to me. Something must not be quite right....surely the stock trigger can be safely adjusted below 4 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
look at the posts & you'll see. 1st the sear engagement it to small, then read jim kobes way. if it doesn't come in clear then reread westpacs

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is NOT a hammer...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
It is NOT a hammer...

Well please forgive my ignorance....I apologize for not knowing the proper term. Honestly though, I don't give a damn what it's called....I just want it to work properly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sear engagement. Then focus on the spring for weight of pull.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Sear engagement. Then focus on the spring for weight of pull.

So is a sear engagement issue a simple "fix"....or do I need to take it to a smith?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
So is a sear engagement issue a simple "fix"....or do I need to take it to a smith?

Probably not. Send it to someone who can also determine of the trigger needs to be re-pinned and the safety needs to be timed. You can jack with the sear engagement and pull weight on an M70 trigger all you want but if the entire system isn't done as a whole it won't be satisfactory.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You are right. Bumping a rifle butt should not make it go off. I'd send it to Tip Burns over in Canyon Lake or take it down to Dustin Mounts in Houston.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Tip Burns won't adjust a trigger below 3 to 3.5#,had a friend took two older 700's there to get something done to them,they both had 2# pulls,he took out the old springs and put in the newer ones set at 3.5#,said he threw away the old springs.Lost a customer there!!Best person i ever know to adjust old 70 triggers is Roy Finch in Blanco Tx.,not a gun shop,but has worked on more model 70's than he can remember.

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtb:
Rusty, Tip Burns won't adjust a trigger below 3 to 3.5#. . .

I wouldn't want one lighter than 3# myself!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Originally posted by wtb:
Rusty, Tip Burns won't adjust a trigger below 3 to 3.5#. . .

I wouldn't want one lighter than 3# myself!

Rusty,

Thanks for the info on Tip and Dustin.

I really want this gun at 2.5 lbs. It should not be a safety issue. Like I said earlier I have probably a half dozen rifles with triggers between 1.5 and 2.5 lbs without having this issue. This is my only Mod. 70 so I have not dealt with this before. Is this just a problem with the Mod. 70 trigger design? And would I be better off just replacing the trigger?

If so, what are some quality aftermarket triggers for a Mod. 70 that will allow for safe adjustment down to 2.5 lbs? (and also allow me to keep the 3-position safety)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the sear angle and engagement needs work. The sear should NOT trip when the butt is slammed on the floor, period, full stop and end of discussion! If the pull weight is 4 lbs and the sear trips then THE FIRST place I'd look is the sear angle(s), 'cause I'd bet that the angles are all wrong.

The M70 trigger is only semi-adjustable at best, and one of the problem areas is the actual sear engagement itself.

As mentioned above, the M70 system operates as a SYSTEM, and so all the parts need to operate in conjunction with each other. For that reason I'd DEFINITELY take it to someone who KNOWS M70 triggers!

As you say, achieving a 2.5-lb pull should not be a problem for a GOOD smith.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade, I can tell you are just plain pissed. Calm down and just take it to a smith. It will cost less than a new, different trigger and you will get what you want. All of the advice above is really good. Funny story...I had a similar problem several years ago and sent the rifle back to Winchester since they surprisingly said they would adjust it from the 8# it was down to the 3# I wanted. I got a call a week later saying that the rifle was in transit back to me, but the trigger still was not right and to send it back as soon as I got it, on their dime. They said they found they had the wrong spring in it. When I got it the next day, I tried it and sure enough, wrong spring....it was the best 10 OUNCE trigger pull I ever had on a rifle! I just adjusted it a little heavier and kept it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of going to a gunsmith, just replace the trigger with a Timney, they're great triggers and most of my rifles have them.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...ACTION-RIFLE-TRIGGER

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of going to a gunsmith, just replace the trigger with a Timney, they're great triggers and most of my rifles have them.

If I really wanted a sub 3# trigger on a M70 I would go the Timney route.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The drop test is good and if it goes off them you have a problem. If a gunsmith doesn't do a drop test I would not use him to adjust a trigger. You can't simply loosen the spring to reduce trigger pull on a model 70. Tighen it back up until the drop test fails to fire it. Have someone that knows what they are doing adjust it. I'm not going to tell you how to do it. You can with proper adjustment make a model 70 trigger very crisp and light.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO a Timney is a questionable solution to an easily-solvable problem. Simply substituting another trigger into an M70, ANY M70, is frequently not quite that simple, and anyone who thinks so is mistaken. The new trigger will have to be checked/adjusted for a proper and sufficient safety-to-striker-withdrawal dimension, as pointed out above by another poster.

If you want a good reliable and safe 2.5 lb pull then take it to someone who KNOWS M70s, like Jim Kobe.

If you want the very best trigger for your M70, you'll hafta haunt fleabay and Gunbroker to look for a Canjar. They're no longer made but are absolutely light-years ahead of a Timney.

IMO FWIW:
Dayton-Traister = Kia or other El Cheapo
Timney = Chevrolet or other mid-range
Canjar = Lexus, Cadillac, Volvo
Jewell or target trigger = Ferrari, Bugatti

IMO a smith who doesn't do several drop tests is no smith AT ALL!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I bought a M-70 from Jim Kobe that he worked over and I can vouch for the trigger work.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "old" model 70 trigger is among the best in the world. Only the two stages (commercial interwar Mauser and national Match 03) are better (and safer).
For a hunting rifle 3 pounds is just what you want. If your 70 is for varmints or sniping you may want to look at the aftermarket.
Nice to see two stage triggers are making a comeback in the AR match world. Maybe today's hunters will have an equal awakening.
If is failing the "drop test" take everything apart, coat it with dyechem and you'll see what is wrong.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have several Model 7o rifles and all have triggers of 3 lb or a little less on one. All have been done by gunsmiths so that is the route I would take. All of them pass the bump test also.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
My .375 did that AFTER a local smith did the trigger!

Mark Penrod fixed it before I took it to Africa.

It doesn't do that anymore.

I have gotten my other M70s down to 4 or a bit less with no problem with the trigger bumping off.

I will try to lighten my M70 triggers myself, but if I feel they are unsafe (cant bump them or whatever) off they go.

Ah, the joys of a factory produced mass trigger, even if it is the best one.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quit messing around with something as important as a trigger...especially since you seem to be having trouble. Send it to Mark Penrod as Duckear mentions. Mark is a genius when it comes to most all triggers but especially the Model 70. He recuts the angles in a jig of his own making and properly hardens and adjusts all the parts to give you the best trigger you have ever used. Do it, you won't be dissapointed.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
Quit messing around with something as important as a trigger...especially since you seem to be having trouble. Send it to Mark Penrod as Duckear mentions. Mark is a genius when it comes to most all triggers but especially the Model 70. He recuts the angles in a jig of his own making and properly hardens and adjusts all the parts to give you the best trigger you have ever used. Do it, you won't be dissapointed.

Paul

Contact info?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

In re-reading my original post my apologies if I sounded harsh in my original reply...I went down the same path you did fussing with the trigger until I had Mark work over my Model 70 300 Weatherby before my first trip to Africa in 2003. He times the safety, fixes the trigger and will look at the bolt and lockup etc and fix that if needed (above the cost of a trigger job). He rebarreled my rifle and did the full action work including the trigger and after 9 years of use the trigger is the same as the day I got it back. I became convinced of the true value of a competent gunsmith and have never looked back despite cost, hassle with shipping etc.

Good luck,
Paul

Penrod Precision - Mark Penrod
312 College Ave.m N Manchester, IN 46962
Phone: 260-982-8385

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My My Mark Penrod Model 70 trigger is as good as it gets. I would guess it between 2.5-3lbs and it breaks as good as any trigger I've owned or used.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything wrong with a Rifle Basix trigger for the M-70. (New Haven)
It's simple, in-expensive, and fully adjustable.
I put one on a M-70 that had a short/weak tension spring that wouldn't let me get under 4.5# consistantly.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To distill the best M70 trigger investment to a word... Penrod

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How light do you want it to break again? Best for real light clean breaks is a jewel. I wish Canjar was still around but that ship has sailed unless you get lucky and find one. Timney is my next choice. In reality aftermarket your choices are Jewel or Timney. To get the proper sear engagement can be a bit tricky on the original M70 and still get clean light break. I have only done 4 or 5 but have had to replace the spring on all of them. For my money I would replace the trigger with a Timney or a Jewel. Jewel is better IMO but you really do not need something that can go that light. If you find that it is beyond your skill set send it to any of the gunsmiths the group has already mentioned. I have also sent some away because I could not get them quite right. When your frustration level reaches a certain point it is worth the extra money and peace of mind. It really isn't very expensive to have done anyway. However, if you are like me it becomes a challenge and I typically will not give up no matter what. Not necessarily the smartest route but human nature I guess. Good luck on your project.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite frankly my Penrod worked Model 70 trigger is better than any Jewell I've owned.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not possible to adjust any m70 trigger to below 4pound, and having it safely pass a 2ft bumptest.
The cause is in the design of the trigger itself. The trigger is so poorly ballanced that any m70 trigger will let go if exposed to a high enough bump test

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
It is not possible to adjust any m70 trigger to below 4pound, and having it safely pass a 2ft bumptest.
The cause is in the design of the trigger itself. The trigger is so poorly ballanced that any m70 trigger will let go if exposed to a high enough bump test
No disrespect or flames intended, but I disagree.

I personally don't care too much for the original M70 design, but it's a relatively good one in comparison to some others. The exact sear angles and surface finishes are critical, as is the exact sear engagement dimension. These must be adjusted to fit one another along with the safety lever, and the factory dimensions are OK but not optimum for every rifle. Thus hand-fitting is sometimes/often required, and during that hand-fitting it's easier for a good smith to achieve an optimum fitup that wouldn't require a hard pull.

Furthermore a 2-ft drop test with a steel buttplate onto a concrete surface will sometimes result in a split stock. Sure, any M70 sear will release if subjected to a high-enough shock load! The simple inertial load of the weight of the trigger blade will become more than the 2.5 lbs at a high enough shock load, that's true of ANY trigger design! But I will have to admit that the moment arm of the relatively long M70 trigger makes it more likely to move at a lower shock load than many others.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, a good engineering analysis with calcs might show that you are indeed right. I'm just saying that in my experience and opinion, a good smith can achieve a safe 2.5-lb M70 pull when measured with an appropriate(?!) drop test.
Regards, Joe