Find
Notify
Tools

Micro-Sight Out of Business?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
A friend tells me Micro-Sight is now defunct. Is that true? I used Micro-bed, their sights (on pistols), and their bolt handles (on many rifles), over about 40 years. Sure hope that "defunct" report is rumour rather than fact. Anyone know for sure?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, I do know that microbed is not longer available and it is a big loss. I wished they had sold it in a form for shops in larger quantities versus the two tubes.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chick,,,It is true they are out of business.. In California, this is true with about all the major shops. If you want further information, I believe Jim Gaston (Sierra Gunsmithing Service) told me that Micro Bed may still be available...His Phone is 530 939 3646

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than two years ago, Microbed sold off a large quanity of Burris scopes at cost.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, that is really a shame. It was a great place to "hang-out" when I was young. One of the first folks I met there was the late Jay Postman (later of RCBS). Jay was an "order-picker" at Micro-sight when I was a day-time college student (Stanford), night-time LEO (Menlo PD), and then quit college to get married & open my first gun shop.

I was so enamored of the place, I still remember the address (242 Harbor Boulevard, Belmont, CA...just SW of the "Bloody Bayshore") even though I can't remember the addresses of some of the houses I have owned & lived in over the years.

Were lots of knowledgeable people there, and they did every kind of custom gun work, in addition to being a primo supply house for guns, parts, loading components, tools, and just about everything else.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed.

Canuck mentioned Micro's custom gun work... When a young man and recently moved to San Francisco, I wanted to have a 6mm wildcat throated out for heavier bullets. Upon inquiring of Nathan Posner at the old San Francisco Gun Exchange, he said he would be pleased to send it to Micro for the work. As a sometime bullseye pistol competitor, I was familiar with Micro's superb adjustable rear target sights. When I expressed concern about a pistol sight firm being able to do the throating job, Posner just laughed and said I shouldn't worry, that they could do anything, or words to that effect. It was a great job, and the first of many. I was never disappointed. My understanding at the time was that Micro's gunsmithing work was available only at wholesale - although I never did drive down there to find out. Posner was on my way to work and he never let me down.

Good luck, and good shooting.

Jim

Posts: 94 | Location: Upper Left Coast, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is quite interesting, the number of firearm related manufacturing concerns and quality gun stores that used to exist in the San Francisco Bay area. There was Buhler scope rings/mounts, the San Francisco Gun Exchange, Micro-Sight to name but a few. Of course, the Bay area is now utterly and totally hostile to firearms and anything gun related. For all of its devotion to "diversity" and "tolerance", San Francisco and the bay area generally is the least diverse, most intolerant place I've ever been in.

Very sad, the loss of many fine gun related businesses. It was sure a sad day when the San Francisco Gun Exchange closed its doors. Used to enjoy driving over there from Contra Costa county for a long lunch and to fondle quality firearms. I'll never forget the time I was standing at the counter and noticed the hands and fingers of the very tall "gal" standing next to me. Taking a hint from the wink and a nod I got from the SFGE employee across the counter, I could not help noticing the "gal's" jaw line, 5:00 o'clock shadow and "her" very muscular calf muscles!

Only in San Francisco would you see a damn cross dresser at a gun store!

Anyone know what happened to the heavy set kid, redish brown hair, maybe mid-30s who used to work at the SFGE in the mid-90s? Can't recall his name. Nice fellow who seemed very lost at the prospect of the store closing.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now it looks as if Traders in San Leandro is going away. Many ATF "violations".
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh, SFGE was a neat place....used to go in there and drool over a 6 m/m Lee Navy sporter they had hanging in the south window. Lot of other neat people in the area too...F. Bob Chow, Mill's Custom Stocks, to name just a couple... In San Jose there were a bunch of good gun stores....at least 8-10 of them. My favorite was San Jose Electric over on S. 2nd Street, 1/2 block below The Alameda/Santa Clara/Alum Rock Blvd., whichever you want to call it. Remember buying several new guns there when just into my 20's; a new M513-T, new M722 in .300 Sav, a new M760 .300 Sav, and later, a new 1st month of production M700 in 7 mm Mag.

There were three pretty good ones on S. 1st Street too. Day I became a LEO, I went in one of them (can't recall the name) and bought a Colt Cobra, a Colt .357 Magnum, and a Pfeiffer-barreled Mauser .22-250 with Unertl 2" Target scope, all three for $225.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminiscences, Gentlemen.

flaco