New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win M54 Re-bore question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For some unknown reason, I have alway's liked Winchester mod 54's.. Never owned one, just like them.

Here's my question.. Is there enough "meat" in the .30 Govt" barrel for a rebore to 9.3X62?

Maybe this will push me over the edge to finaly own one. I can use another 06 like a hole in the head..

Thanks all.

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one that I was going to rebore to 338-06. The smith said it would be no problem. My guess is that your project wouldn't either.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Mine is a rebarrel.

If you have never had one, be sure you are happy with the original stock, safety, and bottom metal.

No doubt you are very familiar with all of this as you are a fan of the Model 54.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Mine is a rebarrel.

If you have never had one, be sure you are happy with the original stock, safety, and bottom metal.

No doubt you are very familiar with all of this as you are a fan of the Model 54.

Charles I'll be straight up.. I know just enough to be dangerous..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Mine came with the safety exchanged for a Model 70 type and I believe the bolt was modified for scope clearance. The bottom metal does not have a floorplate release and the original stock has too much drop for me to comfortably use a scope (I added a comb pad). The trigger is two-stage. Mine was adjusted so the second stage is pretty crisp but some may still not like it.

If you want to replace the stock, it has a tang like the cloverleaf-tang Model 70 but the bottom metal is different.

If you like it as it is, go for it. If not, the cost to change these things may make you wish you had started with a pre-64 (non-collector grade), a Model 70 Classic, or just bought a CZ or Husky.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A year or so back, I worked on one and re-drilled the front guard screw hole so he could use M70 bottom metal. I don't mind two stage triggers. I don't care for the boltstop-as-part-of-the-trigger feature but apart from that I kind of like the 54. So... I traded for one at the last gunshow and will now make it up for myself. I think it will become a 7x57. I'll probably add a separate bolt stop but will retain the trigger. I'm still debating on what to do with the bolt stop notch in the bolt body. A Buehler safety will work fine for me. A new bolt handle, some Williams metal, and a stock and I will ahve turned a 350.00 rifle into a much more expensive rifle which I'll probably never use. Just like most of the others. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3780 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I got as far as buying the bottom metal. Getting the new hole drilled/tapped is still in the "some day" category.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles... Don't think that Kudu likes your M54 either Wink

I really like the 54's profile and stock style. The drop I think will work for me providing bolt & safety are altered for a low as possible scope mounting. Also I have a big boxy ole head anyway's that will most like line right up to the low comb.

MopaneMike

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Might as well scratch that itch. You can always shoot it in the original chambering to see how you like the ergonomics.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If you cut the 54 floorplate just in front of the triggerguard and then buy a 70 triggerguard from Williams and file or mill a step in the front top to accept the 54 floorplate you have very nice bottom metal with no basics mods. Then make a longer screw for one of the reciever sight holes in the left side of the reciever and you have a bolt stop again with no basic mods. Use a Beuhler type safety and you are in business with a nice rifle that will be VERY smooth. A Timney trigger really is an improvement over the factory.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guy's are bad...

I really would like to know for sure that it can be re-bored before I pull the pin for one.

MopaneMike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester initially made the 375 H&H in the model 70 using standard weight barrels; they only made 10 and then switched to a heavier contour. M70 standard and M54 are the same weight barrel. They made 9mm using the standard weight barrel and also made 358's using Fwt contours. There is enough meat to rebore to 35 caliber, but why not just get either McGowan or ITD to make you a custom contour new barrel? I once had a nice McGowan barrel turned to pre 64 Win 70 contour. I should have kept that gun too!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MopaneMike:
You guy's are bad...

I really would like to know for sure that it can be re-bored before I pull the pin for one.

Get the muzzle dia. and call the horse's mouth. FWTW, I think they'll say yes. I had a Remington Model 30 in 30-06 re-bored to 9.3x62 by Dan Pedersen with no other change. Worked great!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of my business, but I'd re-barrel so the original configuration could be returned to if wanted.

I didn't realize they had a two-stage trigger; I know they made them with a charger slot on the rear bridge, so that kind of makes sense.

Old school, not replaceable, really.

Regardless, have fun, sounds like you're gonna do it...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MopaneMike:
You guy's are bad...

If the diameter at the muzzle is larger than 0.566" you should be good to go. I would recommend talking to Jim Dubbel at Clearwater Reboring. I think that most guys who do this require at least 0.100" of wall thickness at the muzzle as a minimum.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny Pedersen rebored/rechambered my pre-64 M70 in .30/06 to 9.3x64. No problems.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been tracking this thread.
I've got a slight case of Model 54'itis.. Big Grin
Have one in 22 Hornet, but could easily swayed into an '06 M-54.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who is selling an all original M54 in 30 WCF (30-30 Win). It is a fairly early one without the speedlock, extractor, or whatever the A suffix designated. It is probably honestly 93-95% original metal finish. He wants $750 plus shipping. This is untouched, has original sights, sling swivels (hook type), steel butt, and is not drilled on the rear bridge.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote