Find
Notify
Tools

98 Mauser Bottom Metal Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted
Background Info: This posting is soliciting advice from all the expertise I've experienced on the AR Forum. I have a very nice 98 Mauser VZ-24 in 35 Whelen. Test loads tell me with certainty that if I can get the bullet closer to the rifling, I can improve accuracy (no big surprise). However, the (military) magazine will not even allow max OAL of 3.340 without jamming. I understand that most "commercial" 98 Mauser magazines will allow OAL even longer than 3.340 so I would like to switch out whatever is necessary.

Heart of the Question: I am not a gunsmith or a M98 expert (amply demonstrated herein!). What components must be changed? (preferably by me) I am assuming I can buy a commercial M98 large ring "bottom metal with floorplate, magazine, spring and follower, but will it work with my "military" my existing VZ-24 action? Alternatively, can I just purchase a commercial magazine, and will it work with all the existing "military" parts? Questions like this on the Forum tend to generate options ... which is my intent.

Lastly: Does anyone have the "whatever I need" that they would like to sell? I would prefer finished parts that do not require bluing.

Any advice and counsel is much appreciated!

Regards,
Dave

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 521 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The answer is; no. just changing the mag won't help; it is your receiver feed length that will require milling out. Not a hard job, but you need a milling machine. Good Mauser hinged TGs/floorplates are getting scarce and expensive. I saw one go for $150 recently and it needs blued. Someone here will probably offer you one; the best are the 09 Argentines, or a modern commercial one secondly.
Your feed guides might need altering; the 06 shoulder is farther forward than the original 8mm. Also a mill job and polishing.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

Excellent feedback; thank you.
I didn't provide enough data in my first posting. The gentleman on AR that sold it to me must have done some of the work you mentioned to configure it for 35 Whelen. It shoots factory 35 Whelen ammo (five different kinds I've tried) just fine. It cycles "shorter" handloads I've developed just fine as well. It fires max OAL loads just fine (one at a time), it just won't cycle them through the magazine.

Does that provide better information to you ... that perhaps changes the recommendation?

Regards,
Dave

USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The military mag boxes are 3.313 at the bottom so I suspect you have a standard one and you need a longer one which requires a lengthening of the receiver slot as well. So, again, you need a longer box, fitted to your receiver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find this interesting, I have 3 VZ-24 actions sitting here, none of them measure more than 3.250".
I, too, would like a mag length of 3.400", as my custom VZ-24 in 338-06 has this length, but, I have no idea what brand the bottom metal. There are no discernible markings on it.

What can you suggest, DPCD?

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just measured two more VZ24s; they are 3.3 long.
You need to get a commercial one like a MK10, or a new Zastava. Or one of those custom ones for $400.
Or just lenthen your military one by cutting out the front panel and welding in a longer one. And milling out your receiver to match.
Sarco has some commercial ones but I am not sure of the length. .

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Easy to make them longer then adjust the ramp

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much. I'll look for the ones you noted. I very much appreciate the information.

Best Regards,
Dave

USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
This link may help you: http://mausercentral.com/forum...pic.php?f=13&t=51888

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I will check it out.

USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 98 Brazilian Model 1908/34 .30 actions that have magazine boxes measuring 3.440 that are unaltered and look to be factory made. The feed ramps are altered for the 30/06 but nothing else.

Also about 30 yrs ago Numerich Arms or Sarco was selling Argentine 09 trigger guards with the front box neatly milled out for the 30/06 for the crazy low prices back then.

So there out there just got to find them
Bob

One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Numerich had this part (881550C) - says its for an FN commercial.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/881550.htm#881550C

Also had 881550A for a Mauser 98 commercial
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/881550.htm#881550A

There is no spec with measurements, so I assume you have to call them and ask?

Regards,
Dave

USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yours are converted to 30-06 and have longer mags than 8mms. Originally the Brazilian 1908, converted in 1934, hence the new model designation,

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have two rifles that had the front of the mag box cut away and nothing welded in; just the exposed stock material. While that sounds terribly "bubba-ized", it works well as long as the fore-aft spacing doesn't allow the bullet nose under anything and as long as the stock material is hard like wood. One of them has a foam core stock and some epoxy was used to harden that surface (375 H&H on a MK 10 magnum action). At the time that rifle was made it was stocked by Clifton and there was no Obendorf style bottom that fit the way Zastava cuts their receivers. So some regular Blackburn bottom had the nose cut out. I assume it was for wider rounds like 300 Mag. Worked just fine as a 375 and still works today as a 458 AccRel.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Years ago had one left open myself. Had no welder. I simply epoxied the front of the stock inletting. Worked great sold it and I'm sure it is still working.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote