Notify
Tools

Browning X Bolt Trigger Work
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
Gents,

Just recently acquired a new Browning X-Bolt in .223 to serve as my "walking" varmint rifle. Overall, the package is very nice, but I'm having some preference issues with the trigger they've installed. It comes from the factory set to around 4.5 lbs, which I think is ridiculously heavy for anything other than a DA revolver. I followed the user manual on adjusting it and took it down to the minimum setting allowed - Lyman trigger pull gauge says 3lbs 6oz. After putting around 100 rounds through it, I'm still not happy with the weight and would like something lighter. Does anyone know of companies who are making different springs or replacement parts for this trigger? So far, all I can seem to find are parts for the A Bolt.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of any aftermarket solutions. Traditional remedies usually involve reducing and polishing sear engagement. If there is a weight of pull spring you may be able to cut off a coil or two to lighten.

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i187.html

Posts: 3715 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I think Timney has a spring kit or something available. I got 2lb 9oz out of a factory trigger with a serious stoning and reshaping, but don't know if I'd want to do it again. No fixture I could find, had to free hand it. I would look at some of the European versions of Midway and Brownells to see if there are any triggers or at the very least stoning fixtures available East of the Pond.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'll check out that "Ernie the gunsmith" fella and see what he has to offer. Rob, thanks for the cautionary advice on the grinding and smoothing approach. I was really hoping to avoid having to do that for the reasons you mention.

Have either of you had a similar sentiment with the X Bolt trigger? This is honestly the first time in my shooting life I've taken issue with a rifle's trigger to the point where I wanted to modify things. I'm just wondering if I'm crazy...always a possibility.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done about a dozen of them. They all take sear work but come out very nice. If you want to ship it shoot me a pm.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote