THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is getting expensive (Savage Problems)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay so I got my new 7mmMag Barrel and headspace gages from MidwayUSA yesterday. So I took the chance to get things put together when I ran into a problem. It seems the action's threads are slightly rounded causing them to round/flatten the barrels threads. I made sure that I wasn't cross-threading them as the first 3-4 rotations when like butter. I will be posting this on Savageshooters as well.

My original thoughts are that the factory installed barrel was cross-threaded or the action is out of whack.

Am I going to need this to solve my problems?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Pull the scope mount screws and try to thread the barrel in again.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're sure the problem is with the receiver's threads then what choice do you have other than letting a gunsmith do it.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll look into Frank's recommendations tonight. I'm almost certain that the mount screw is catching the very top of the thread, the more I think about it. If it is the threads, I will take it to a smith and let him check it out.

The money invested so far in getting the gun, parts, equipment, and replacement barrel. I could have bought a new Savage and had the accutrigger with a cheap scope and all I would have had to do is glass-bed it. Never again (well maybe since I have all the necessary equipment)!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MThuntr:
I'll look into Frank's recommendations tonight. I'm almost certain that the mount screw is catching the very top of the thread, the more I think about it. If it is the threads, I will take it to a smith and let him check it out.

The money invested so far in getting the gun, parts, equipment, and replacement barrel. I could have bought a new Savage and had the accutrigger with a cheap scope and all I would have had to do is glass-bed it. Never again (well maybe since I have all the necessary equipment)!

Yeah, if you still have the scope mount on the receiver then interference with the front base screw is likely the cause. I had assumed you had already looked inside the receiver at the threads, under good lighting, to see if something looked out of place and was possibly interfering with the fit. Take the screw out and try it again. FWIW, the front base screw should never make contact with the barrels threads.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup Certain that is what it is. When I removed the original barrel it came off very easily so I never gave it a second look. I never put two and two together. I am actually embarrased as I made a mental note weeks ago that the screw was suspiciously long. I will be changing mounts anyway so I just take it out. Chock one up for me being exicited and ignorant.

Thanks for your help Frank and Malm.

Saw Steve's Outdoor Adventures last night w/ the presentation by Lock, Stock, and Barrel on scope mounting using Burris mounts and I am going to use that system with my new Burris Fullfield II