Find
Notify
Tools

A couple projects
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I was working on these two projects yesterday, and my camera was on the bench so...

Here's the tang on this Remington 700, built up so stockmaker can shape the grip the way he wants it:

Here's a shot of the new bolt handle and 3-position safety:

Custom scope bases:

And front sight detail:

Here's a Sako 561 in work. This shot shows bolt handle modifications:

This is a shot of the Conetrol fluted scope bases. They make a very nice product:

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John! Some great work. What rings are on the Conetrol bases, they don't look like Conetrol rings? I really like the bolt handle work on the rifles.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Real nice work.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, John!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I am real courious as to what shape that grip will be.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Thanks John! Some great work. What rings are on the Conetrol bases, they don't look like Conetrol rings? I really like the bolt handle work on the rifles.

For realy high clearance Conetrol has horizontally split rings. I've got a set on my 340 WBY. I believe you can still use the base screws for windage like the other types you are referring to.

Not crazy about them, but at least they ain't Talleys et al.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Conetrol are definitely phenomenol looking rings, I'm curious how they are as far as functionality.

sorry to hijack.

I too am curious about the stockmakers idea on grip. I thought that most commonly tangs needed to be extended or have material removed to get the shaping right, I'm guessing making it bigger isn't real common. must be a specific idea behind it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work John.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking stuff John.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Me too.

John Farner

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work.

On the Remington tang, did you model it after some of the tangs that come on custom actions (i.e. Nesika)? It looks like it was originally made that way, only with much better quality than you would see from the factory.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Me too.

Here ya go!

Big Grin

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
Nice work.

On the Remington tang, did you model it after some of the tangs that come on custom actions (i.e. Nesika)? It looks like it was originally made that way, only with much better quality than you would see from the factory.

No, it's not modeled after anything. Customer wanted his stockmaker to have enough metal to slope the tang gracefully, rather than the abrupt standard Remington, so I built it up with a LOT of weld, both on the top and the bottom as well as filled the safety notch, then recut bolt raceways as original. I had to add metal to the bottom in about he same proportion as the top to prevent the heat from bending the tang upward. It was fun to figure out.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. It turned out great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your pictures, looks good! Is is hard to get parts for left bolt guns? Also, what radius did you use on the rear scope base for the remington?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
what radius did you use on the rear scope base for the remington?

Great question. No radius at all; I milled it flat.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a whole lot (and maybe even more) 1917 Enfields that could use that great looking rear tang treatment.

Very nice!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Is is hard to get parts for left bolt guns?

There are a few options for left hand Remington triggers, but as far as I know Gentry was the only game in town for left hand 3-P safeties for both Remington and Mausers. Not that there are many left hand Mausers running around. I have heard Gentry may not be making them anymore. Satterlee has also made left hand 3-P Mauser safeties in the past. I have three of his safeties on LH Charles Daly (Zastava) actions.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu C,
Shilen will have a left hand Remington trigger in a few months.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Stu C,
Shilen will have a left hand Remington trigger in a few months.
Butch

Butch,
Actually Shilen was one I was thinking of. Don't they already make LH Remington triggers, or haven't they done so in the past?

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I talked to Bill Hull today he indicated that they weren't at this time, but would in a couple months.
Butch