New
Find
Notify
Tools

300WM or 338WM, Griffin & Howe mcmillan stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally got my pre 64 short magnum action (338). I originally and I'm strongly leaning toward a 338 but a 300WM might be a little more all round rifle. I have a 30-06 that I will always have...another pre 64.
Planning on rebarreling with a #3 pacnor barrel and stocking with a Mcmillan Griffin and Howe stock. I've never tried this stock before...
Comments or suggestions, for any other make of stock. Does Echols make a stock for this configuration?
Thanks in advance,
Terry

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, what the hell do I know, but if it were me, I'd do the 338. It has about the same trajectory as the '06, so familiarity is there. Also, the 300 would make it hard to find a reason to take out the '06, except for maybe curmudgeonery. The '06 and 338 on pre-64 actions, just seem like a great American pair to me. On that, I think I'd have to go with a #4 myself. But it's your gun, and I'm sure you'll love whatever you end up with.
Have no opinion on the stock.
Cheers!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I second the motion for a 338 win mag.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also prefer the .338 and have owned five original P-64 Alaskans in that chambering of which I still have four. I had a pair of them in Micky G&H stocks, but, I found that this was not the stock for me due to recoil issues so I changed one to my .264 Westerner (yup, P-64) and sold the other.

D'Arcy Echols does make his stock for that action and I am informed by persons whose opinion on rifles I respect that this is the bomber stock for Mod. 70s, I intend to get some as funds become available after suitable negotiations with the C.E.O.

I found that the G&H pistol grip did not allow me to control recoil as well as a Brown or Clifton does, I suggest trying a few blanks out before deciding.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sendero:
I finally got my pre 64 short magnum action (338). I originally and I'm strongly leaning toward a 338 but a 300WM might be a little more all round rifle. I have a 30-06 that I will always have...another pre 64.
Planning on rebarreling with a #3 pacnor barrel and stocking with a Mcmillan Griffin and Howe stock. I've never tried this stock before...
Comments or suggestions, for any other make of stock. Does Echols make a stock for this configuration?
Thanks in advance,
Terry

Terry
My smith is just finishing up my rifle...
A pre 64 338 WM to go with my 270.When I
ordered the rifle I wanted the McMillan G&H
stock.He told me the D'Arcy stock was far
superior for recoil and fit.So on his
recommendation I went with the Echols stock.
Have not received it yet,so no first hand
info.Ask AD his opinion of this stock.

Also,he installed the Limbsaver pad.I have not
tried one first hand but I have heard alot of good about it too.

Jeff

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'd go 338

The G&H stock is very uncomfortable to me, i'd go Brown Precision..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I had McMillan's G&H pattern on a .338 Win. Mag. I used to own, and in my opinion it's a misshapen stock that handles poorly and exacerbates recoil.

D'Arcy's own McMillan stock is lightyears ahead of the old pre-war G&H stock that McMillan copied, and for the Model 70, it's likely the best, most shootable synthetic stock that's ever been offered.

I'm a big .338 Win. Mag. fan, but I like the .300 Win. Mag. even better, and consider it my favorite hunting cartridge. It's less fussy than the .338, shoots flatter, kicks less, adds up to 300 fps. more velocity over the .30-06 with the exact-same bullets, and it'll easily handle 95% of all the world's big game hunting. I've used the .300 Win. from Sonora to Tanzania, on game ranging from Coues whitetails to Cape buffalo, plus lion, elk, moose, sheep, bears, etc., etc. and if it's somehow lacking in any way, I'd like to know what that way is...........

AD

posted Hide Post
Echols 'glass stock is by far the most comfortable and best looking that I've owned. I have a blank here now that will be replacing an older McMillan M70SG style on my old 300mag.
If you aren't doing a lot of brown bear hunting I'd chose the 300mag any day over the 338, for all the reasons Allen has mentioned.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 mag it is then. My pre 64 30-06 is in the original stock refinished with linseed oil. The 300 would be a nice rifle for all round use and I can use my 06 on fair weather days.

Can I use the original bottom metal with the Echols stock...recommendations? Is there a certain make barrel that is more compatable with his stock. Do I contact Echols direct...contact #?

Many thanks amigos. I've had some custom rifles turn out not so good in the past and don't want to make another costly mistake.

Anyone have a pic of the Echols stock?

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy Echols
164 W.580 S.
Providence,UT 84332
801-753-2367

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sendero:
Anyone have a pic of the Echols stock?

I found this on another site, but I believe Allen posted it here previously.

If not, please correct me...

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
To those who might know,

What sort of bottom metal is the Echol's Legend stock inletted/molded for? Standard Winchester, Williams one piece, other?

Thanks in advance,
Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be my physical confirmation or a numb shoulder but My Griffin and Howe McMillan fits me pretty well and doesn't seem to kick to bad at all in my 375 H&H.

I kinda think that if you are going to only have a scope on the rifle the Straighter comb with less drop on the Echols pattern would probably be better - I haven't tried one yet but would like to. However if you want to have a rifle with QR rings and Iron sites for backups the G&H might be worth a look-see. I like mine quite well........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Is the Echols design for sale through McMillan or Echols??

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
You can only get them from Echols in the form of a blank, then you'll have to have it bedded and painted and have sling studs and a pad fitted. It's really best to have McMillan do this work after you buy the blank from D'Arcy.

That photo (a really poor photo) is of my .338 Win. Mag. that was completely built by D'Arcy Echols, and does feature his McMillan stock. The bottom metal is from Tom Burgess.

AD

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
AD
PM sent

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Do you think the Echol's stock is adequate for use with iron sights? Granted, I will be using a scope 90% of the time.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Absolutely. I have a scope in Burgess detachable mounts plus EAW open sights on my Echols-built .375 H&H that has this same stock. With the scope removed, sight acquisition with the open sights is instantaneous.

In fact, D'Arcy builds .458 Lotts that are open-sight-only rifles on this same stock. I've handled a couple of these and the sights pick up very well indeed.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a McMillan G&H on a M70 300 Wby for a while. Although the recoil wasn't a problem I hated the way the comb flute dug into the base of my thumb. It was very uncomfortable, and just bugged me to the point that I replaced the stock with a Brown Precision. The G&H may looks nice, but no thanks!

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also building a rifle on a pre 64 short mag action (I went with the 30-338). I am also looking at what stock to get. The Echol's looks like what I want. Be carfull that the stock was originally made for the pre '64 (I will inquire). I got a Brown Prec. for my 270 Fwt., and while the action fit in the stock nicely, it looked like they used the same mould as for the current rifle, and positioned the action off the front action screw. This leaves the trigger 3/8" too far forward. I built up that pistol grip with glass, but I don't want to go through that again (plus, I want checkering).

Doug