New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need gunsmith for Martini work
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know of a good 'smith that could rechamber or reline (haven't decided yet)a Martini rifle,and also bush the fireing pin?

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't spoken with him in 8 years, but if he is still living, W.D. Ballenger of Lakeland Florida does the best work on old actions I have ever seen. If it can be done he can do it. His address and phone number are:

W.D. Ballenger
Custom Gunsmith
524 Carroll Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33801

Good luck!

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The grand master of Martini gunsmiths in the U.S. is:

Robert Snapp
6911 East Washington
Clare, MI 48617
517-386-9226

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loud-n-boomer,

Bob Snapp doesn't do "off the street" work anymore.He is basically retired but does occasionaly do guns for the Gunsmith's Guild.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Brian,
Go to my site,I have hundreds of smiths listed there.You might find one near you.
1geejay
http://www.shootin-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your address might actually be:

http://www.shooting-hunting.com/

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeeJay,

I have plenty of gunsmiths in my area,but only one of them is competent enough to do what I want,but he is so back logged with other projects I'm affraid he'd never get to mine.

------------------

<BMG>
posted
Ask here. These guy's might know someone who specializes in them.

http://pub7.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm1

<Sparticus>
posted
Hi Brian M. Since I live 40 minutes from Robert Snapp I will support your statement that he doesn't do off the street stuff. But when I was their, about four years ago. He had 7 of those Martini's. Three done up to a point. The trigger was soooo clean and smooth and their was a saftey. His shop is not much more than a garage with three lathe's and he doesn't own a mill. It's all done on the lathe. He did say one thing " if you have to ask how much this is gonna cost, you proble can't afford it.." To me I would think if a big carrot was waved out in front of him the old rabbit might bite.... Al Siegrist in Prescott, Mi. does relining work. He is a Master in his owne right...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sparticus,

Do you have the contact info for Mr.Siegrist?

------------------

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Brian:

I spoke to Robert Snapp at the ACGG show in Reno in February, and he is still doing work on Martini's, but it's probably very pricey. However, you get what you pay for.

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Sparticus>
posted
Alan Siegrist, Whittemore, Mi. 48770 Phone number 1-989-873-3929 . He is usually there six out seven days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Al Siegrist is good, one of those guys that has made a good living for himself doing nothing but repair work
Another of that caliber is Bruce MacArther @ Flint and Frizzen in Clarkston MI 1-248-625-3333

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Sparticus>
posted
Hey, tailgunner... how about that 40-60 Remington rolling block that he did. That's a nice piece of junk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't say as I remember noticing that one. I grew up in the Pontiac area, dealing with Bruce, when I moved up here he suggested Al in case I needed any work done on my guns. Al has done a few things for me, and I haven't heard anything bad about him from the locals. I would like a close look at the 22lr gattling he made in his HS metalshop class, I've heard that it is sweet.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Sparticus>
posted
Theren is a fellow in Prescott, not Al who I worked with at Modular Machine Inc. that made one from a picture he saw. That gun was sold a few years ago. But, when you go back to Al's look up at that small muzzle load hanging above the counter. I believe he made ever bit of it. Lock, stock and barrel. Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did see that one but never paid attention to it. I'll be certian to look closer at it the next time I'm at Al's place. Modular Machine is 2 miles south of my house.